Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Friday, February 25

simple country pleasures...

Today is a good day to stay indoors. There's a chilling blast of cold wind from the north and a prediction of 7 to 10 inches of snow. Early this morning we could see across the fields that the neighboring farms are without power...we are fortunate ours is still on. However; I did get a quick refresher lesson on how to run the generator if necessary! I've done my best to be prepared so we'll be comfortable, and really, lots of snow and cold don't bother me...they bring out my pioneer spirit!

This week I began re-reading Laura Ingalls Wilder's book,
The Long Winter. In this book she tells of her family's struggle
to survive a South Dakota winter in 1880...a winter so severe that it lasted 7 months. Hmmm, that makes our winter look pretty tame! We're all together, safe & warm, and that's what matters.

A day like this lets me attend to only small, needed chores, and the kids will be enjoying yet another snow day. It's a day for movies, board games, cookies, a crackling fire, roasting marshmallows, making s'mores, and catching up on some reading.

And speaking of cookies, here's today's simple pleasure...
it's oh-so easy. I've dressed up our cookie jar in no time at all
with only a little chalkboard paint!





















This idea would also work well if you store powdered laundry soap, clothespins, or seed packets in pantry jars. The ideas are endless, and it helps keep things a bit more organized.
Which, at least around here, is needed!

Happy Friday!

5 comments:

  1. I love your cookie jar! Hope you all stay snug and warm today. Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of rain in the North East, but high wind warnings starting at 2:00 this afternoon, right on into midnight!! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, will you adopt me? :)

    Your house always sounds like such a snug haven from the cold. I'm fed up with winter but your post inspires me to look at the ice and snow as cozy rather than cold!

    I read The Long Winter to Emily last winter... talk about monotonous, tiresome and never ending winter. And to be hungry on top of it all, and with no internet. Eee gads! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been enjoying your blog and I am passing on the Stylish Blogger Award to you. Please visit my blog to find out what this means. www.theserenestamper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're snug and ready with cookies! That was our favorite Little House book. We talk about it often when we're feeling overwhelmed. Not just the hunger but the part about girls waking to snow piled *on* them inside the store / house... Dressing by the woodstove.
    Here we just have enough rain n wind to need a good boat... But we're snug and have pie so no complaints!
    hugs,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10