Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Tuesday, March 15

puddles, puddles everywhere...


 


















The rapid rain dancing on the windows, the puddles in the yard, mud everywhere...it's enough to make a country girl ramble this morning! Early last week we had flood warnings, and indeed rivers overflowed their banks washing out homes and fields.
Later the same week, we were warned of severe winter weather with several inches of snow expected. March is up to its  usual business...its weather cannot be trusted. The warm days coax the daffodils from their winter sleep, but the next day its snow covers them. What's a girl to do?

Well, it appears the best thing to do is make plans...March is a time of promise. This year, I want to plant berry bushes, fruit trees, and Concord grapes. Simple pleasures perhaps, but what joy will be found in fresh fruit and homemade jam to share with friends. Finding promise in the simple, everyday things is there for anyone willing to look for it. Yes, it's a muddy, rainy day,
but it's a good day for a pot of soup to simmer on the stove...
Moose Soup is one of Little Man's favorites. It's a good day for a crackling fire...probably one of the last ones we'll enjoy this season as the days turn warm. It's also a good day to settle in
and re-read a favorite book, write a letter to a friend
(a real, handwritten letter sent off by snail mail), or dig a bit into your family history. Old photos, letters, and stories are the ties that bind generations.

As for me, I'm waiting for roofers to come and repair a bit of damage left by the winds of Old Man Winter...but while I'm waiting, I think I'll whip up a batch of cookies. Another simple pleasure...warm cookies and cold milk, mmm.

What about you...
how are you spending this Lion-&-Lamb month?

By the way, here's our recipe for Moose Soup...
and no, there were no moose harmed in the making of this soup!

"Moose" Soup

4 T. butter
2 onions, diced
3 qts. chicken or vegetable broth
1 head cabbage, finely chopped
1 lb. potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 lb. carrots, peeled and sliced
2, 14.5-oz. cans stewed tomatoes, drained
3 c. baby spinach leaves
3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
salt and pepper to taste

Combine butter an onions in a skillet; cook until onions are tender. Set aside. Combine remaining ingredients in a large stock pot, add cooked onions. If necessary, add water or additional broth to cover vegetables. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer. Stir occasionally and continue to cook until potatoes and carrots are tender, about 2 hours.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Mary!
    I know exactly how you feel with this unpredictable weather. Just when you think spring has arrived ..it snows! Here in our part of Kansas we've only seen a skiff of snow but it's been dreary looking and I feel like I could REALLY use some sunshine. It's coming today and will get better as the week goes on thank goodness. It's been a tough couple of weeks for me to say the least. THANK YOU for the award! That was so kind of you and I'm sorry that I haven't done what I'm supposed to with it. I'm still not feeling up to it but I'm sure as the week goes along and the sun comes out I will. THANK YOU again...I really do appreciate it. I hope your day is filled with sunshine!
    Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soup sounds good, do you know why he named it Moose Soup, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ginny,
    I think I've figured it out! His teacher read the class a book titled, The Giant Cabbage. It's the story of a moose determined to enter his cabbage in a Giant Cabbage contest, but it's so big he can't move it. Little Man's teacher made the recipe found at the end of the book for the class to enjoy. The recipe was called: Moose's Cabbage Soup. Sounds to me like Little Man only heard part of that, and that's how Moose Soup was born! It makes me smile! Thanks for asking, Ginny. -Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10