Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Thursday, July 27

bottles in the barn...


Living in a house built in 1864 has its challenges...easy-to-crack plaster walls, tiny closets, and the occasional slanted floor (drop a pencil and watch it roll!)

It also has its delightful positives...fireplaces in the kitchen, dining room, and what was probably a front parlor at one time. There's wood wainscoting and floor to ceiling windows...old houses have character, and that's what I love. For as long as I can remember, I've loved old things and been interested in them...old houses, old music, old movies, old ways, and I've always loved history. It's just how I am wired, as they say.

While this was originally a working farm with horses, milk cows, sheep, and pigs, over the years it moved on to become a dairy farm, and lastly a horse farm. It's not unusual to find horse shoes, square head nails, even an old cross-cut saw when going through the barns. Recently I decided it was time to tidy up the smaller barn. This one tends to store the garden tools, outdoor holiday decorations, and any other assortment of "things" that just don't seem to belong anywhere else.

So with renewed determination, I set out to organize and sort. I never know what I'll find when I begin digging in these old buildings...this one in particular has the farmers handwriting on the wall along with phone numbers, wooden pegs, and beams that look as if they were chiseled with an axe.

On a dusty shelf, I found a collection of bottles, so I carefully washed them, did some research, and enjoyed a little history lesson from my own homestead.

Here they are before a sudsy, warm bath...





A little digging told me this bottle, which warns...

"Federal law forbids sale or reuse of this bottle"

was on all liquor bottles between 1935 and 1964 and was meant to discourage the use of the empty bottles being filled with homemade "moonshine" which would then be sold. Evidently very common during Prohibition!


                                           


The large, clear bottle on the right is a vintage Arkansas Glass jug - I'm not sure what might have been inside, I like to think it was something wholesome like apple cider!

The amber bottle in the center was made by Illinois glass...1915 to 1929, and the smaller clear jar is a Hazel-Atlas canning jar, probably dating from 1915.

All washed and cleaned, I put them together, I just felt like they needed to be safe inside:



I also found a 1945 Pepsi bottle, a 1947 Coke bottle, and a fun, polka-dot Cotton Club creme soda bottle, but I can't pin down the year on it. Lots of fun, the soda bottles will be filled with cheery flowers for a summertime centerpiece.


Now, this bottle was NOT brought inside...the markings are:

3iv

I soon found out that marking meant it was a chemist apothecary bottle..and yes, I should have had gloves on...the photo was taken before I realized there was liquid inside.  YES liquid!

Back to the barn, in a safe spot, it went...hmmm, what to do?





And that's my tale from the farm today...vintage bottles once filled with soda, "moonshine", hopefully apple cider, and well, who knows about that last one! 




source: Susan Branch

 


18 comments:

  1. Exploring those old barns sounds so much fun! Years ago I had a collection of old bottles, sadly now long gone. We used to dig them up on different farms in old rubbish dumps or find them under farm hedges or trees. Such excitement to wash them and see what they look like :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret, it really is fun for me...I love seeing the handwriting on the walls or an old license plate from the 1940's used to patch holes. Wow, I'm sure you found some fascinating bottles...it's almost like being a detective; what an adventure!

      Delete
  2. What a fun post to read! The bottles look brand new after a bathing. How wonderful to find so much history on your homestead. Old is good, especially since we are getting older too! Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daisy...some of the bottles were scratched on one side, but nearly perfect on the other from being tucked away in a hiding spot. It was fun looking up the logos stamped on the bottom to try and pin down how old they are and where they came from. One man's junk as they say, it another man's treasure!.

      Delete
  3. We moved from a two hundred year old cape in maine to the house we built here. We have spent 35 years trying to make it look old.
    love the old bottles
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love the old look...bet your new floors are level though!
    Would love to see photos of your old house...I'll have to look through your blog and see if I can find any. That would be my dream...a 200 year old house in New England...sigh!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, my dear friend! What a wonderful post! I love hearing about your beautiful home. I love what you did with the bottles. Thank you for sharing your treasures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you taking the time to visit...I know you still have sadness over the loss of Kirby...

      The bottles are just one of the fun "finds" scattered here & there. When I till the garden I always find bits & pieces of pottery. Recently I found an old aerial view and there was once a little building there...maybe a summer kitchen once upon a time? Always something new to discover! I hope the weekend is quiet and you have your feet up relaxing.

      Delete
  6. Some nice bottles you found and they sure cleaned up nice. We once bought bottles that had dots on them really cheap to resell in our antique store and found out the dots meant they had poison inside of them at one time. The dots were there for blind people so they would not use what was in the bottles as they could not read them. We have a friend who is the president of a bottle club. His whole basement is chock full of them floor to ceiling inside glass cabinets with lights. We once went to a bottle show and it was amazing just perusing ll of them. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  7. You never know what you're going to find. I love how you've displayed the bottles. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's part of the fun...discovering a piece of the past! The bottles are sitting in a rusty round, maybe cake pan (?), I found as well...it's awfully large for a cake, who knows...but they just seemed to be good together!

      Delete
  8. I had to laugh at the slanted floors. Yup - same here! I don't mind them with one exception. My husband has refused to put stone flooring in our entry because of the slanted floor. He says it will break the stone. Such a bummer. And bottles! I have no idea why, but the previous owner(s) of this home buried everything. We find very old bottles, dishes, all kinds of things that shouldn't be found in the dirt. The chickens are always scratching things up. I always love your displays!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Staci, oh I would love stone flooring...they can add a little "something" to help level it up a bit if that helps any...there may be an answer yet! And burying things...isn't that interesting? Maybe there was a shed there that they pulled down - try Googling vintage aerial photos you may find your house from decades ago and solve a puzzle...let me know! Mary

      Delete
    2. Great ideas! I'll give that aerial photo a try! Thanks!!

      Delete
  9. Oh what fun treasures! It always amazes me that glass bottles can remain unscathed especially someplace like a barn or shed. Beautiful indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right! What kept them from breaking is beyond me...glad they survived though. So interesting to me to find things from decades ago.

      Delete
  10. I love these bottles. Very, very cool finds. You did excellent cleaning them. Cheers, Ivy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivy it's amazing what can be found with a little digging!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10