Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Sunday, December 11

baking with Mae...

When the December sky is a gun-barrel gray and any warmth from the sunshine is lost behind the thick clouds and blown away by the brisk winds, there is always something that I know will bring me warmth...baking in the farmhouse kitchen. 

Built 158 years ago, I often think back to the many women who prepared meals in this old farmhouse, and as someone who loves history, it's been fun over the years to cook in the kitchen fireplace...an antique tin kitchen/reflector oven makes the best roast turkey! 

But this past week, it was Mae and I who did the baking. Just for fun, I've named some of my vintage items...the little 1963 Camper is Maizy, my road-side find 1956 sewing machine is Fern, and Mae is my 1950 Hotpoint stove. Mae is a big 40-inch-wide workhorse...if you'd like, you can read the story of how she came to the farm here.  With 2 ovens she can bake double what I could before - she's a gem!

Pies were needed for a church get-together, and then I thought I'd try a couple of recipes from my blogging friends.

Staci at Life at Cobble Hill Farm, was kind enough to share her recipe for cranberry-orange biscotti - I've never made biscotti before, but I love the combination of cranberries & orange...it was wonderful!

Not nearly as pretty as Staci's - I need to work on my rolling/cutting skills, but they were oh-so delicious!




Then I wanted to make the sticky ginger cake from Jules at Along the WayExcited to try her recipe, I dusted off my food scale and I was meticulous in converting grams to cups.

However...my apologies Jules. I didn't choose the correct pan size, so I had an overflowing, not-so-pretty loaf. Well, to try and save the day, I used my cookie dough scoop and made sticky ginger balls. Again, not the exact recipe from Jules, but the flavor was amazing and it's a recipe I'll make again (with a larger pan!)





This coming week will find my son home from college for Christmas break...he has a couple more exams and my daughter just completed hers - and so the holidays begin!

In a drafty old country farmhouse on a cold December evening, it's time for me to settle in on this Sunday evening...a cozy blanket, a mug of cocoa, and our local PBS station is showing 3 back-to-back episodes of All Creatures Great and Small...heaven for me!

I'll say goodbye with a photos of Santa on the blue barn shelves and some of my favorite ornaments on the little old-fashioned tree.







...have a good week, friends!




12 comments:

  1. LOVE. Simply love! Your ornaments are lovely, and that Santa! Thank you for sharing the biscotti information. I have never tried to make it, but I love cranberry and orange! And so happy for you to have the college ones home again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my stars...I have such oven envy! I long to have a vintage stove that I can learn to can with. She's a beauty and obviously, she was meant to be in your kitchen. Enjoy that girl.

    Incidentally, I name things too. My 1957 Singer sewing machine is Maxine. Everything made in the "old" days was built to last!

    Your treats look lovely.
    Enjoy the season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so sweet to have tagged me in this - I'm so happy you enjoyed that version of the biscotti! And the sticky ginger balls look amazing. Who would know it was a mistake?

    I always enjoy seeing your country decor - just beautiful.

    We just received quite a bit of snow which makes it seem like Christmas is really coming.

    Wishing you a wonderful week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I can imagine being in your cosy warm farmhouse kitchen on a cold day. It sounds heavenly.
    Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Billie Jo - ha that Santa is one of my favorites...and the ornaments on that skinny tree are all my old-fashioned ones. The big tree has all the family favorites, kid-made, and vacation memories. Oh yes, try the biscotti, oh-so easy and I think you'll like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daisy G - that's so sweet, check your local Craigslist listing, you might be surprised what you find for a song...I never thought I'd find a stove like that here in town! And SO glad to hear about Maxine, yay, it's not just me that does it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Staci - ahhh snow sounds like the perfect way to get in the spirit of the season, I love it...as long as I don't have to drive in it. I hope all is well and the shop is booming with business! Enjoy your week as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Margaret, awww thanks,...while I'd really like to do a little (okay, big!) kitchen upgrade, I do love that fireplace. I just makes me smile. Sending wishes you're enjoying every minute with your daughter...what fun you must be having!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Mae reminded me of my gramma B's cookstove. Hers was a trusty friend who kept us warm in the Winter and provided many meals for us. What memories! Loved peeking at your Christmas decor too! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Janice, those are my old fashioned ornaments, the real tree will have all the mismatched, not perfect, definitely not store window worthy ornaments, but all the heartfelt ones! I do love that stove, I hope she keeps chugging along. I bet your gramma's was wonderful...what sweet memories you have, that's what it's really all about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your blog....it reminds me so much of growing up in late 40s and 50s when I was little and we lived in a tiny town in Missouri. All our relatives seemed to live on farms and have ktchens with huge cook stoves that also kept the house warm and always produced that special touch to anything cooked in or on it. They had so many other uses to, but! your Mae melted my heart! My Mom had a similar one when we moved to Texas and it was a Tappan. I want one of those and maybe we'll find one someday in a garage sale. Thank you for my little walk down memory lane! ~Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Christmas at your farm house must be the most cozy. And delightful...

    Have a lovely and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10