Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Monday, December 19

when the weather forecast says...


There's nothing like reading this when skimming the early morning news...


POTENTIAL PRE-CHRISTMAS BOMB CYCLONE
COULD BRING BLIZZARD CONDITIONS.

A MAJOR STORM, NAMED WINTER STORM ELLIOT,
COULD BRING HIGH WINDS UP TO 50-MPH,
AND BITTERLY COLD AIR.



Well, that will get the mind racing! As always, when predictions like this are the leading new story, overnight we'll see grocery shelves become low or completely bare of basic supplies. And while I keep food storage and water on hand, I admit, I do add a few more items to the shelves,
"just in case." 

Living on a farm, there are always extras added to the "to-do" list when the forecast is like this one. Immediately I think of 4 things: food, water, heat, and animal care. 

Food: 

check food storage, and know that cooking in the fireplace, on a camp stove, or grill is always an option if the power is out.

Water: 

there are two large tanks in the basement - one 60-gallon and one 30-gallon, both filled with water. Without city water, no power here means the water pump won't run, so no water.

Heat: 

There are 4 cords of firewood in the barn, along with extra wood that could be split if needed. It's time to double-check the kerosene and small propane heaters and generator, and also to see how much fuel is on hand. 

Animal care:

By late October, heat lamps have been secured and heated water buckets are set up. Tarps are also in place to help block cold air. Chickens will get scratch and warm mash to help keep them warm, and goats will get extra feed and grains.

And then there are odds & ends...

plug the outside dryer vent with quilt batting so the washer lines don't freeze in the laundry room (don't forget to run out in the freezing cold to unplug the vent when it's time to dry laundry) 

and run an extra-long, extra-hot dishwasher cycle to help prevent the dishwasher water lines from freezing. Yes, both of these have happened, and the repairs are just too expensive to take a chance and not do them.

Whew, while preparing for Old Man Winter, we're still making ready for Christmas, so I thought I'd share a few photos:


from a favorite prim/antique shop...





I found an 1850-60's Oakleaf Wreath cutter quilt piece 
that was too sweet to pass up


And keeping it real...

this tangled mess is what I discovered when I pulled out the tree lights.
Really? What was I thinking last year?!



The countdown is on friends...I hope you're settled in and cozy surrounded by twinkling lights, candlelight, with your feet up, sipping chocolaty cocoa. 

 


11 comments:

  1. Praying you stay safe in the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are getting rain lots and lots of rain that will sweep our lovely snow away I would rather get snow this time of year. But we are going into the deep freeze after so lots of ice (I would rather have snow) Sounds like you are prepared. Tuck in and enjoy the cozy time hopefully with those you love with you.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! The weather forecast! It Sounds like you are well-prepared for whatever may come. As I was reading that, I couldn't help but think about my favorite Christmas classic, Rudolph, when the big storm almost canceled Christmas! Snuggle in, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Billie Jo, that's a great classic, I'm never too old for Rudolph! Snuggling in sounds like the perfect way to spend the weekend - take care! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I will be heading out tomorrow for extra items to bundle in as we are expecting the same storm coming in. Being on grandparents farms, I know the importance of getting everything ready for storms, including the animals. Some nice pics of the store! My lights usually look like yours every year. LOL Stay warm and safe my friend. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Janice, keep warm and safe, too. It sounds like Friday is when we can expect it, so I'll be thinking of you. Let's just settle in, keep cozy, and think of the old-fashioned Christmases of the past. That sounds like something we'd both enjoy...have a wonderful time with your mom! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no idea if my previous comment went through or not. It disappeared after I hit publish. πŸ™„ If so, then hello again! Hoping the winds aren't what they are predicting - that's no fun whatsoever. We are expecting similar temps and wind.... Yikes!

    Sounds like you are prepared and hoping you and the animals stay safe and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahhhh yes, that kind of news really gets the adrenilin pumping. you are well prepared and i'm sure you will do fine.

    with luck it won't be that bad. -smile-

    Gentle and Happy Christma

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stay safe and warm through this extreme cold! Wishing you a wonderful Christmas and a blessed new year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a concerning headline to wake up to. We are hearing News here about how severe this storm is, so am hoping you will be able to hunker down and stay safe and warm throughout it. Sending hugz, Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dec. 23--Fri.

    Thinking of you and in hopes that all is well...

    lots and lots of gentle hugs...

    Stay warm and safe..

    πŸŽ„ πŸŽ„ πŸŽ„ πŸŽ„

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10