Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Wednesday, July 6

throwback Thursday...

 A cool breeze from the north, fresh herbs from the garden, and the sound of rain on a metal roof...these are the blessings of midsummer. July in our part of the world is casting a drowsy spell...fields are filled with tiger lillies and blackeyed-Susans, we hear the distant rumble of thunder as a storm passes by, and evenings filled are with the magical dancing of fireflies.  

It's nearly impossible to take it all in. Sometimes my brain seems very noisy and cluttered...but it's days like this that I try to quiet my brain a little and just enjoy the moment.



Our 4th of July celebration included fireworks at a nearbly 250-acre park where my son is working this summer. He was invited to park in the company lot and the view was incredible. This has always been one of my favorite things - to be in a big field on the Fourth of July, a picnic basket filled with food, just waiting for dusk. The fireworks were incredible, and I'm sure I've never been that close to them before where I looked overhead the entire time!


I've been cleaning one of our little barns, and snapped a couple of photos to share...they caught my eye and made me smile; the "make do" attitude of the farmer making repairs many years ago:

a 1950's Folders Coffee tin,
 


and a 1948 Farm licence plate



You know me...I love anything old and those beauties will stay exactly where I found them. ❤


This week's
Throwback Thursday Recipe...Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies!


I found this recipe in my mother-in-law's old recipe box,
and after all, since it's zucchini season, it looked perfect! 

1 c. zucchini, grated
1 t. baking soda
3 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. ground cloves
1 t. cinnamon
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. shortening
1 egg, beaten
1 c. nuts*
1 c. raisins*

Grate enough fresh zucchini to equal one cup; set aside. Combine baking soda, flour, salt, cloves, and cinnamon; whisk well to combine, then set aside. In a separate bowl, cream together sugar and shortening; blend in egg. Stir in nuts and raisins. Combine with dry ingredients and stir to combine.

Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.  Yield: about 3 dozen.



*Because I am a chocoholic, I swapped out nuts and raisins for chocolate chips!

To me, it was just like enjoying zucchini bread only in cookie form...another recipe for your garden bounty.


Sending good wishes from our little corner of the world to yours...















4 comments:

  1. What a perfect description of summer. Sounds like you had a memorable Independence Day.

    Have a wonderful weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is almost the same recipe I have minus the raisins. Glad you had fun watching the fireworks with a perfect spot to boot! This time of year I love seeing the wild blue chicory and wild carrot blooming along the side of the roads here. Wild carrot is what some call Queen Anne's Lace now. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daisy G - it was terrific weather and amazing fireworks! Always something I look forward to...thanks for stopping by!

    Janice - Oh, I didn't know it was called Wild Carrot, we always call it Queen Anne's Lace...so pretty! I just read that it's often mixed up with hemlock, yikes! Better keep a close eye on what I may be picking for arrangements!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful scenes of summer, and lovely word picture too...

    Gentle hugs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10