Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Friday, July 15

a throwback Thursday, that's almost a forgetful Friday!

Where do the days go? Whoever said, "Time flies" couldn't have been more right...the days turn into weeks, the weeks into months, and the months into years. I simply can't keep up...my Throwback Thursday is being posted at 11:00 at night; it's nearly Friday!

I'll give you a quick look around the farm, and then on to this week's recipe!


I added solar lights to the chicken run...
why not let them enjoy a little summertime
sparkle, too?

looking through the double front doors at dusk...
lately there have been such wonderful,
cool breezes from the North.

Janice (you can find her here) inspires me with
her monthly Cupboardscapes,
so this little lady is on my rescued blue cupboard,
she makes me laugh!

and she's paired with some mini American flags

flowers are blooming indoors,

and out!

delicate spiderwebs almost seem surrounded
by water-drop diamonds,

they just seem magical to me.


Throwback Thursday...
Delmonico Potatoes

Another old recipe that seems to get its name
from an 18th century New York restaurant.

I've written it just as it was on the recipe card...any changes have been noted with an asterisk.



8 potatoes*
1 c. evaporated milk
8-oz. extra sharp Cheddar cheese, diced*
1/8 t. salt
3/4 t. dry mustard
1/4 t. nutmeg
1 c. milk
Garnish: paprika

Cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil; cook until almost done.* Drain and cool slightly. Slice and place in a greased casserole dish.*

Combine remaining ingredients; cooking and stirring is necessary or it will stick and scorch. Cook until cheese is melted; pour over potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate up to 24 hours. When ready to serve, remove and let stand at room temperature for one hour. Bake at 325 degrees for one hour, until bubbling.


Clarification:

8 potatoes, almost done -
I peeled and boiled 8, approximately 4-inch potatoes

8-oz. extra sharp Cheddar cheese, diced -
I used extra sharp shredded Chedder cheese

cook until almost done - 
potatoes were boiled 8 minutes

slice and place in a greased casserole dish -
mine were sliced about 1 /4 of an inch, and placed in a 2-quart casserole dish

These potatoes are an old-fashioned version of potatoes au gratin...when making them again, I'd slice each potato thinner, add a bit of salt & pepper seasoning, and then toss in some crumbled bacon (bacon makes everything better!) 



Bailey says Happy Friday, I hope it's a good weekend for you!





7 comments:

  1. I just love that your chickens get some sparkle!
    And that recipe sounds so good. Any dish using cheese and potato gets my vote.
    Have a lovely weekend. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jules, I admit, fairy lights just make me smile! (I wonder if the goats would enjoy them?!) Enjoy your weekend as well! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww...Bailey. So sweet. I LOVE the coop lights. What a great idea! I agree about the spiderwebs, magical indeed. Wishing you a wonderful rest of the weekend and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bailey! Oh I also love your little patriotic display...and oh my that view from your double doors is just breath taking! How fun to have a bit of sparkle for your hens. Hopefully they lay more eggs for you. Janice PS thanks for the shout out. I just love to decorate! Been busy at the store they past few nights adding in a bit of Autumn displays now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Staci - thanks so much, Bailey is such a sweet girl, so glad she found us! The lights were on sale at a local store and solar is so nice...they feel safer than trying to string an extension cord across the yard (which is bad enough in winter for a heated waterer and heat lamp!) Hope you got some rest this weekend, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww Janice, YOU inspire me with your displays, soooo looking forward to fall! I'm seeing pumpkins pop up in shops already...my favorite season.

    Oh my girls...as they're older, egg-laying is hit & miss, but I believe in having a "retirement" home for them...wouldn't have it any other way! I know you're so busy...hope you're feet are up right now, a cup of tea in hand! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos...

    Love bunting and yours, makes a lovely photo...

    Gentle hugs
    🌼🌱🌼

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10