Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Monday, July 26

I just gotta say it...



There are 3 things that drive me crazy (well, more than 3, but let's limit it to that for today!)


1.

Back-to-school supplies in the stores in JUNE.  Yes, JUNE...I am a FIRM believer in letting kids be kids! Let them unwind, unplug, and enjoy the summer away from the stress of exams, deadlines, and projects. In my humble opinion, it's bad enough school starts weeks before Labor Day. In the little time that they do have off to recharge, it's important to do exactly that: recharge.


2.

Halloween candy and decorations in stores in JULY...the Independence Day sparklers are packed away before the 4th and monsters & mermaids are lining the shelves. I've quoted Jeffrey R. Holland before and his words are so true:

"Nature has its rhythms and its harmonies.

We would do well to fit ourselves as best we can with those cycles 
rather than frantically throwing ourselves against them.

Be calm, be patient, be happy with the season you are in."


3.

And truly, what's fueled this post:

Those who MUST tell me how "things will never be the same" or "you'll have to find a new routine". Let alone, "you've had them long enough."

While it was certainly no one commenting here, it was a face-to-face comment, I absolutely have to rant from my little corner of the world. 

May I just say it is not necessary to share these words with moms whose children are high school Seniors or in college. I was taken by surprise when the comments were made to me last week, and I found myself (through the tears beginning to well up in my eyes) unable to gather my thoughts to reply.

If I could go back a week, these would be my words...

As my youngest is about to begin his Senior year, trust me, there are some things you should know...

I am completely aware of how quickly time has flown...there is no need to point it out (especially to me, who is prone to be weepy-eyed at the mere thought of it.)

I am completely aware that my days will be different. 

And lastly, I am completely aware that the kids are no longer at any of these stages:









Please, I ask that we all be mindful of what is being said...or maybe, just don't say anything at all.

I am incredibly proud of my children and glad that we're a close family...and yes, that does make separations harder. 

Because of that, this has been what's fueled me for years...and why I feel the way I do.


"Motherhood never ends, but childhood does.
The magic years are unbelievably brief, and every day, that little girl or boy
is changing, edging a little closer to the door.

Remember that the essence of parenting isn't in the milestones,
but in the everyday moments. So stop, pay attention,
and make sure you celebrate them every chance you get."

-Unknown




4 comments:

  1. You've had them long enough would have made me go ballistic. Unfortunately I am one of those folks though that has to have my Halloween displayed for our store in August in order to compete with the big box stores. Even the big box stores have Christmas out now too. Hope your day goes better for you. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janice, "ballistic" made me laugh, thanks! I'm not good at quick responses...all the good stuff comes to mind after I'm back home!

    And I get it...I'm sure it's a balancing act setting up displays as the seasons change. I'd much rather see your store dolled up for fall, than a giant one-stop-shop. There's such a difference in a store with "heart".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, gotta the "helpful" advice is always something else. There seems to be a lot of it these days. I sure do agree with the frustration of everything being pushed on us way too early- all of the holidays and we were seeing back to school advertising once the kids had been out of school for 2 weeks! Hoping you have a wonderful remainder of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Staci - I agree, too many folks don't seem to stop and think before they give "advice" (do you see me rolling my eyes?) Anyway, time to shake it off...I can't change people.

    Hope all is well...I'm sure your gardens are bursting and you're keeping busy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10