Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Wednesday, August 18

certainly not bored!

August arrived and brought with it the chatter of cicadas and sun-ripened tomatoes, along with a good perspective on life that was found while sitting in a springy, vintage garden chair.

As the month's heat and humidity continued, I wiped my brow while prepping fruits that would become jam, and veggies to be canned or frozen. What a summer it's been...I've never before seen flowers so beautiful or tomato plants that have grown to 7 feet tall! 

So as today comes to a close, we're going to make some ice cream, and then I'll be found settling in to prop up my feet. August...I know you're feeling it too, the dog days are here, but then again, there are special delights only found in deep summer.

Below I'm sharing a few pictures, as the saying goes, of what's happening in our neck of the woods...happy Wednesday, friends!

GIANT Candy onions, HUGE 7-inch tomatoes, and BIG juicy blackberries!






A friend and I swapped my baked goods for her fresh milk...oh my! Soon cream became butter and ice cream, and milk was turned into cheese...heaven.






I made my grandmother's bread & butter pickles, sighed over a 1967 Galaxy, and marveled at the intense colors of the newest blooming flowers.







And found that at the end of each day:
All is well...









  

8 comments:

  1. Homemade ice cream. YUM!!! So glad you have lots of veggies to reap this year. It so helps on the food bill. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janice, I'll share the recipe, it's so easy! I'm used to making these long, complicated ice cream recipes that have to be refrigerated overnight before we can even enjoy it. This new recipe is ready in about 30 minutes! And yes, the price of food is really soaring here...I'm happy to can and freeze if it will help in the long run. Always good to have some food storage set aside. Hope all is well...I'm ready for a sneak peek at your fall display! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that butter looks fabulous! I would so love a cow but at my age I think it's just a pipe dream. We've had a crazy summer here in MA, very hot, very rainy. And where we are the mosquitoes are really causing us to stay indoors more than any other year! Our garden is so sad. We do have tomatoes coming but none red yet. We've had some green beans, plenty of cucumbers and loads of zucchini. So we've had some success but the weeds! Omg, the weeds. I really have enjoyed our two raised beds and hope to have more built for next year. So much easier to protect from the deer and rabbits - and so much easier to weed! I'm loving exploring your site! Jan in MA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy August! That's great to hear your veggies and berries had a good summer. There is nothing like freshly picked tomatoes, is there? We've eaten them daily for a few weeks now and it looks like that run will continue for a while longer. That's one of my favorite parts of gardening. :)

    That's so nice that you have someone you could barter with! It sounds like you made some incredible things for your family to enjoy from the milk.

    You always share the most beautiful photos.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janice, Oh I want a cow, too!! Hey, we're never too old...I'm thinking a mini Jersey would be ideal; let's never stop making wishes! It sounds like our weather has been about the same...my tomatoes area just turning now, but corn and watermelon are slow to ripen. I agree...the weeds are crazy, that's my goal for today, attack them! Thanks so much for coming back...it's nice to hear what you're up to. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Staci, you're right about tomatoes....I'm always so disappointed when the season is over and I have to get them from the grocery; it's just not the same. Oh the bartering was amazing...I was thrilled. I felt like Laura Ingalls skimming the cream and churning butter in a 100 year old Dazey churn! My husband's grandparents had a dairy farm, and I know enjoying this fresh milk brought back memories for him of Sunday dinners when there was ice, cold, fresh milk served.

    Thanks for your kind words...I hope all is going well and you're enjoying these summer days (be sure to kick your shoes off and rest as well!) Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just popping in after you posted a comment on my blog, thanks. I love the butter the colour is amazing and the old fashioned butter churn how wonderful. We make "Kiwi Country Girl 10 minute no churn ice cream" which if you love rich creamy ice cream this is amazing. Cream, Condensed Milk and Vanilla. I have an ice cream maker which you have to freeze the large container in the freezer overnight etc. and then churn the ice cream however after using her recipe 10 mins making it and it's ready in about 4 hours that's what we make now. Have a good week. Kathy, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy - thanks for stopping by...your ice cream sounds good and so easy to make...that's the best kind! Yes, the butter churn is old, but then I really do love old things...it was fun to use, but I admit, we had soooo much cream I finally brown down and used my heavy duty mixer to speed things up a bit! Thanks again for commenting...I'm looking forward to reading through your blog. Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10