Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Friday, August 26

a bee in my bonnet...

Here's the story of a gal who loves honey. Now, she has dear friends who have had beehives for many years. However, while interested in the process, the gal never really went beyond simply enjoying their gifts of delicious honey on on homemade biscuits with butter. Yum!

Okay, so that gal is me (as if you didn't know that already.)
Now I do have an interest in bees...and while our dear friends would have made the most excellent mentors, sadly several years ago they moved to Wisconsin.

So, what do I do with this new interest in becoming a beekeeper? Well, I've been reading all I can get my hands on, and tagging along as our neighbors learn the ropes and harvest their first honey. I helped uncap their frames yesterday...sticky business, but really interesting. Was the moisture content right? What about the temperature and humidity in the room?  I learned a lot!

Here are a few snapshots taken this week of our neighbors tending their hives...



questions...questions...questions...

How far from the coop should the hive be?

I want it close to the garden and fruit trees, and I want to keep an eye on it, but I don't have a strong wind-break. Should I surround the hives with straw bales in the winter, or is wrapping the hive with tar paper a better idea?

So...do you have bees? Any tips & hints?

I'd love to hear the story of how you got started!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, I just found your blog while blog hopping. We have bees and I use the tar paper method. Most importantly, though is leaving enough honey behind for the bees to eat through the winter. If they have enough to eat, they will make enough heat to stay warm. I have chickens and they are many yards away from the bees, although this was not really a consideration in picking a location. The bees travel within a 2 mile radius usually anyways, so they will find your garden and your fruit trees.

    Happy Bee Keeping!
    Stop by our farm if you have time!
    Bev
    Bee Haven Acres

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10