Welcome to an 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Monday, July 29, 2024

This and that at the farm…


These late July days have been so much more comfortable than when the month began. Early mornings and late evenings seem almost fall-like…even cool enough that I found myself wishing I’d worn long sleeves as I walked around the county fair Thursday!


Just like everyone, I find the days full and wonder how the hours have slipped by. In a little over two weeks my son will return to college and Friday my daughter will be back - yay! She’s been an RA at a ballet company for the last 7 weeks. Sigh….for a short time, the balance will be restored. 

So, how have I been spending my days? Well, here’s a little peek at a not-so-interesting, but typical day!

I’ve been watering (we really could use some rain)

O



picking berries,


enjoying watermelon,


sharing that watermelon with Glowbug,

                                      

and Lucy…a summer treat to keep them cool!


Lucy is the last of the hens, and while I wanted to get chicks this year, I just didn’t think this lady would appreciate a coop of littles and their noisy antics. 

She rarely leaves her seat at the top of the ladder, so I moved her food and water up to make it easier. The queen of the coop deserves spoiling. 

    

Bailey is still under “house arrest” having had her first injection for heartworms…she’s doing well. The goal is to keep her quiet and chase cabin fever away with calming music and videos. She has two more injections in August. 



My good friend is fostering baby raccoons!
  

Two weeks ago a crop duster came waaay too close for comfort…what started out as interesting to see, turned into an experience where we could smell the chemicals and feel them as they drifted down. And we were not beneath the plane – this was drift - quite scary. 

                                  

All I could think of was, what about the children who are playing outside, what if we were having a graduation party or get-together with friends? We had no idea crop dusting was scheduled..
      
                                            

Why yes, I will be contacting the FAA.
 
And finally, on a trip to the grocery store I found this:

                                  


Happy dance in the aisle! Over-the-moon, tickled pink, just can’t quite believe it…my article in MaryJane’s Farm August-September issue! So grateful to have been given such an opportunity.

Well friends, that’s a little of what’s been happening in my “neck of the woods” as the old saying goes. What 's happening where you are?

I hope all is well and that you are enjoying these summertime days!


                                   






10 comments:

  1. I will send you some rain! It surely does make a gardener's life easier.
    These every day posts are interesting because we get a glimpse into the day-to-day lives of others.
    Sweet Lucy. You are taking such good care of her.
    Sorry to hear about the crop duster. That should not happen.
    Congrats on your article! I really need to subscribe to that magazine.
    Mighty blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daisy, I woke up to rain...yay, thanks for sending it my way! If we can get through the heat and dryness of our typical August, we're in the clear! Thank you...again, just the comings and goings of an average day. If you have a TSC close by that's where I can usually find the magazine...sometimes, it can be hard to pin down. Have a good week...always appreciate the inspiration I get from your garden!

      Delete
  2. Look at you, my friend!!! Congratulations on the article!!! Yay you! And like your friend above, I so enjoy these posts. I love seeing what my friends are doing in their world each day. The berries! Oh, the berries!!!!! LOVE! Have a cozy afternoon, and you for all your people to be home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Billie Jo - I was tickled, and it didn't quite feel real until I saw it in print! Yes, it’s been a fabulous year for blackberries. I’ve never had this many. Hope all is well!

      Delete
  3. Love your photos, especially the one with the sprinkler! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret, I do love those sprinklers. They do a great job too!

      Delete
  4. It has been lovely and sunny here recently, but we never have to wait too long for a good downpour of rain. I have noticed a few blackberries beginning to ripen, but there should be plenty ready for picking in the next few weeks.
    The crop dusting would be cause for concern. I hope it won't happen again. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like your weather is perfect lately - does it get hot and humid where you are? The blackberries are so good, the secret is to get to them before the birds!

      Delete
  5. Oh Robin, thanks for cheering me on! I do think we’d make good neighbors ! Goats are fun and no trouble - biggest challenge is hoof trimming. Best left to the vet. Getting rumblings of thunder here now - Bailey is under a blanket and not a fan. And yes that crop duster - grrrrr - it was as if the pilot was teasing - just how close could he/she get? I thought they might hit the barns as they swooped down. Take care - still catching up on all your first posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the article! So happy you've been able to spend time with your son and that your daughter will return home soon. Something to look forward to.

    So sweet about Lucy. Queen of the coop indeed.

    That's awful about the crop duster. Unsettling.

    Hoping you receive a lovely rainfall soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10