Welcome to an 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Sunday, July 14, 2024

falling behind in posting!

Time flies, as they say, and it's so true! I've enjoyed keeping up with all the blogs I follow...your summer days are flying by as well filled with gardening, patriotic celebrations, and happy things!

And so, I must play catch-up...as they say, "Without further ado!"



winter wheat:  going, going, gone





but the corn is still 
growing strong 

Barnum is such a handsome
fellow, but still so shy...



Bailey celebrated her birthday!


Hmmm, looks like she's
sticking her tongue out, 
perhaps not a fan of party hats!



Fireworks across the
fields in a nearby town



The prettiest blue skies
by a lovely old barn


a mama looking 
quite protective...I kept
my distance!



summertime harvest!


I painted an old faux fireplace
and put it in the milkhouse...

no, a milkhouse wouldn't
have had a fireplace, but this
was 
doomed to the trash and it
just needed 
rescuing! 


It was fun to decorate
for the "not shop, shop"






being watched...



posies to help me forget
it's a sweltering summer day



and lastly, an old building
alongside a country road...
it just needed to be remembered



Well, that about catches you up on how I've spent my days. While certainly not exciting by Hollywood standards, the days are simple...trying to hold onto old-fashioned values in a hectic, modern world.







I hope you're all well, keeping cool (unless it's winter where you are, then keeping warm) and you're spending a bit of time each day doing something you love that makes you happy.

Let's make tomorrow a red-letter day!





11 comments:

  1. Everything looks great! What will you do with all that squash?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melanie – zucchini bread is a high priority around here, either tossing in some chocolate chips or an all-chocolate version-yes, I am an absolute choc-a-holic! The yellow squash is good in sheet pan dinners, they’re so easy. I did just find a lemon squash, quick bread recipe I’m going to try-I’ll let you know if it’s a keeper or not!

      Delete
  2. Your photos are always so transporting. I especially love the ones with the old barn and blue sky and the old building not being forgotten. I have a huge soft spot for old buildings. It can be distracting when driving. Your milkhouse mantel is wonderful - it looks perfectly perfect there. Wish I could stop by your not shop shop. ;-) ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin thank you for the kind words – I agree, there’s just something about old buildings and their history. Whether it’s an old barn or an old house, they just immediately take me back and I wonder about all the families that lived there - as the saying goes, if only the walls could talk. I’m glad you like the mantle, thanks! It was an odd color and looked as though someone had spilled nail polish on it - it took three coats of paint to hide everything! I just couldn’t stand to see someone throw it away - I’m not sure how old it is, but when it’s plugged in, there’s a crackling sound from silver spikes in the back and an orange glowing light to resemble firewood. And yes, it would be such fun for all of us kindred spirits to get together!

      Delete
  3. Harvest season is such a busy time - I am surprised you have found time for blogging. But I am glad you did, as your photos are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to confess it’s really not harvest keeping me busy – I’m trying to clean the basement! It tends to collect things that I think I might “need” someday – but I’m cleaning with wild abandon! Donating what I can and sorting through years of paperwork. The only upside, in this hot weather the basement is nice and cool!

      Delete
  4. Your captures are always so stunning. I especially love the barns.
    I love your sunny outlook! I think we could be good friends if we lived closer. ;0D
    I hope your week is filled with good food, beautiful blossoms and many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daisy I couldn’t agree more! I’ve often thought about the kindred spirits that we meet blogging across the miles. I’m so grateful to learn from all that you do – what a kind thing to say😊! Not everyone enjoys the simple life around here - wouldn’t it be great if we all lived in the same small town ?!

      Delete
  5. Happy belated birthday Bailey!!! Looks like a delicious treat for wearing the hat. 😋 And Barnum is adorable. Beautiful pics as always. Hoping you are staying cool and taking the time to enjoy a little bit of downtime here and there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww, thanks for wishing Bailey a happy day! So glad they make dog-safe ice cream...it was gone in an instant! Hoping you're cool as well...the humidity this summer has been so bad here. And you're right, it's important not to forget a little quiet time - we all get so caught up in our to-do lists. Hope the business is booming for you!

      Delete
  6. These photos brought me such peace. Thank you so much.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10