Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Wednesday, January 17

brrr!

The sun is shining brightly and the sky is a perfect shade of azure blue; birds are chattering as if to catch up on the latest gossip, and our rooster, Bandito, crows loudly to tell me I'm late in bringing warm mash for breakfast.

Yes, it sounds like a lovely winters day; doesn't it? 

Except that it's 4 degrees and the National Weather Service has issued a High Wind Warning...meaning winds of at least 40 mph with gusts of 58 mph or higher. 

A cutting wind is sweeping strongly across the open fields bringing with it a wind chill of -15. With plunging temperatures and gusty winds, oudoor chores are done quickly with heads bent down against the icy winds that easily cut through a heavy coat, thick gloves, and woolen hat. Water buckets are filled and animals get a hearty breakfast, then it's time to start cars, check the propane level, look for any fallen tree limbs, add to the stack of firewood by the mudroom door, and tie down or move anything that might blow away. 

And while this picture was taken a few years ago, my "stylish" winter apparel never changes:


Stylish? No

Warm? Yes!





Christmas decorations have been tucked away, but I had to share an ornament story...

This little tent was bought years ago as a reminder of all the Cub Scout campouts.




Now, as young kids do, they sweetly felt that the Baby Jesus ornament needed to be inside the tent to stay warm & dry...and so it was.

Look closely inside. 

And there it's remained for many, many years, and always makes me smile.



Something new...this year we celebrated for the first time with Christmas Crackers!  





And to answer a question, searching for the pickle ornament is just for fun. It's an old tradition that is said to have originated in Germany. There are three pickle ornaments hidden on the trees that the kids look for; when they find them, there's a family gift to share. Most years it's a board game, but this year it was Sundae Set, and so Christmas dessert was a variety of ice creams and toppings!




These days I'm spending time sorting and organizing. Winter months just seem to be a good time to take stock of things that need doing...all those things that somehow seem to slip a bit when warm weather calls me outside.






However; I need to remember to make time for more important things than chasing dust bunnies and organizing books. Time for non-stop movie marathons,
 mugs of chocolaty cocoa, snow ice cream, and s'mores in front of the fireplace. 





"Winter is not a season, it's a celebration."

— Anamika Mishra


22 comments:

  1. I think "brrr" sounds like an understatement! I'm glad you can look at it all in a positive way and pick out the important things of winter (loved your list). Stay warm :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret- it is a bit chilly, but so many other areas have had deep snow and blizzard conditions - we’re fortunate. They say we might get 5 inches of snow tonight- that would be ok with me - that’s what winters were like when I was little. Oh that makes me sound so old!

      Delete
  2. Oooh, that’s cold! We reached 12 yesterday morning and that is cold enough for me!
    Your winter gear looks quite cozy. I am in organizing mode here as well. And I’ve found a new (to me) series on “Masterpiece “ called “The Durrells of Cofur”, so I’m watching that in the evenings.
    Enjoy your warm treats, you deserve them for braving that frigid weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I loved that show when it was on here - let me know what you think of it. I’ll tell you I cried at the last episode!

      Delete
    2. Not sure why that says anonymous, but it's me, daisy! Good to know you found the show worth watching as well.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous happens to me if I’m not signed into my Google account when I comment - maybe it’s the same for you? Right now I’m glad All Creatures Great and Small is back on - I love watching that - but after I may just borrow Corfu from the library - a good one to rewatch this winter!

      Delete
  3. You look so cozy! I love the ornament story - that is just so sweet. That wind was supposed to be here last night but we got lucky and never received it. It stayed to our south. So, while it's cold here (nights in the single digits), we haven't had anything extreme. Yet.

    Do you close up your not store-store for a few months in the winter? Wishing you warmth and time to enjoy a few good movies and books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Staci - hope you're keeping warm-we’re suppose to get out of single digit nights soon- it’s been much worse for so many other areas. Dripping faucets are the way to go here! Yes the “ not shop” closed mid- December- I wanted to enjoy some holiday time, but it’s also unheated - brrr! I may have a Valentine’s Day pop-up sale, and then just hold off until spring. Time to brainstorm new recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet ornament. Thanks for making me smile. I bundled up during those bitter cold days too. When my kids were little we did Christmas crackers for New Year's Eve and I bought them non alcoholic champagne for them to drink. they thought they were cool. Thanks for reminding me about that tradition we once had. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Janice - the “kids” are 23 and 20- time has gone too quickly. Your traditions sound fun (and cool!) and I know they still remember those sweet times.

      Delete
  6. You look fabulous in your cold weather attire! I love the tent and baby Jesus ornament......so sweet. I have always wondered how fun Christmas crackers could be! Wishing you warm sunny days ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words! if you could only see my feet, you would see boots that have definitely had better days, but they’re so comfortable and I can’t find any that fit as well! The Christmas crackers were fun, pulling the ends off gives a loud pop and inside were surprises such as a riddle, paper crown, and a tiny toy to-yo, puzzle, or car. And your wish is coming true – while we had ice this morning it’s supposed to be in the 50s Wednesday – not typical January weather!

      Delete
  7. We had that cold snap here as well. This week warmer - even sleet....ughh! I'd rather have snow. Cute story with the tent and Jesus. Yes, I've been mindfull of a balance of time; working vs. pleasure. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes - snow over sleet and ice That balance seems hard to strike for me - I don’t know why, but you’re right in working on it - that’s my plan, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, my friend!!!! I loved seeing a glimpse of you. And I absolutely loved the ornament with Baby Jesus! I love your movie marathons and cocoa days. Enjoy this cozy time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. a glimpse yes, I am never a big one on selfies! Although someone did ask me if my daughter looked like me – so I may have to share some pictures. 😬. It was good to read your post today, it’s fun to go on adventures - such sweet memories - then again coming back home feels good - I think you and I are similar, homebodies at heart!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know this was a week ago but we went into the deep freeze then too. Now we are so snowy and icy lots and lots of ice. We started the day very icy so we are home. I have cleaned this morning so now time to catch up on line and maybe figure out and audio book to listen to when I hook a bit.
    Thank you for your visit to my blog
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy - oh ice is the worst, at least for me. I’m always worried it will weigh down the power lines. Yes stay in if you can where it’s safe - an audio book is a great idea! Cozy blanket, cup of tea, and your feet up - keep warm.

      Delete
  12. Oh yes, we have the pickle ornament on our tree as well...it is fun to search for it! Stay bundled up, my friend, and stay warm. Thanks for the sweet story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting 😊 Yay - I don’t know anyone else who has a pickle ornament! Staying warm here - but then the weather has jumped from 4 to 40 - just mud now. oh how I want to be snowed in!

      Delete
  13. Hello Mary, just surfed on in and have enjoyed my visit very much. Lovely posts! I look forward to coming back. Happy February!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi Denise, so glad you dropped in – nice to meet you! I’m looking forward to stopping by your blog and seeing what’s happening in your part of the world,!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10