Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Thursday, February 8

Thursday thoughts...


These slow-moving February days...somehow they seem just right for contemplating common sense:





 and nonsense!




Leaving home to run errands can sometimes feel like a change in cultures as we leave behind the pleasant, bucolic scenes of country life,


friendly cows




a fella who has earned the name
Acro-Cat



peaceful sunsets beside the lake.



And head to the "big city"



This week alone we've dodged drivers running red lights, running stop signs, passing on a double-yellow line, and as witnessed above, a truck toting WAY too many pallets (once upon a time we found ourselves in this same scene, and yes, the pallets came off right in front of us.)

Don't get me wrong, there are lovely and exciting things to be found in the city...ballet performances in gorgeous historical buildings, an amazing zoo, a beautiful conservatory with botanical gardens, and the best-ever souffled egg sandwich.

And many times, this saying rings true;



 

Do I dream of faraway places? Sure...the rugged Yorkshire Dales, the beautiful landscapes of Wales, the glacier lakes in New Zealand. However; I have to admit, I'm most comfortable settling in at home. To hear and feel the quiet is calming. 

The familiar sights and sounds remind me, as the saying goes, that "home" is more than where we hang our hats.




I have a feeling that Gladys Taber and I would have been friends!







13 comments:

  1. I feel the same way. I have no desire to travel anymore. Home is the best place to be. Contentedness is very underrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Daisy you said it perfectly- content is the right word. And really, 6-8 lanes of freeway traffic is insane (to me, anyway!) Give me a slow country road any day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those country scenes are beautiful. I do love to travel, but there's no place like home. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You visit some lovely places Jules, thank you so much for taking all of us along! (I have a feeling that’s the only way I’ll see them:still, a girl can dream!)

      Delete
  4. I am content just staying at home. Driving to work is plenty enough cray traffic for me in a week. The pallet truck did remind me though of the time Bob and I went on this antique trail with his Ford Ranger. We were like the Beverly Hillbillies loaded with furniture and goodies...but nothing that would fall off. Bob secured it very good. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. That truck with the pallets is something else! I wouldn't be surprised at all if I saw that around here. I feel the same way - I love being home. I'm quite fulfilled and grateful to spend most of my time at home. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn’t that truck crazy?! We were keeping our distance this time. Agreed - I am an absolute homebody.

      Delete
  6. The roads are a scary place around here lately there have been so many very horrid accidents. I love Gladys Tabor and have a few of her books. Thank you for reminding me that I should did them out again.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love this post, my friend! What a beautiful perspective, and the quotes are the cherry on top. Thank you so very much for validating my feelings of home. Have a cozy evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Billie Jo that’s what draws me to your blog - a strong sense of home and the comforts found there. Thank you - you are a kindred spirit!

      Delete
  8. Sweet thoughts...and yes I dream of far off places and hope to visit at least a few one day...but home will always be where my heart is most at peace. Glad you made it home safely after your trip to town!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you about Gladys Taber. I love her books! I love day trips, but always glad to get home that night.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m so glad you like her too, I’m reading a book of hers now. I love it. You sound like me – day trips, absolutely, adventure, roads, yes, back home by bedtime😄

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10