Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Wednesday, February 2

round two...snow, ice, gusting winds!

Yesterday was the kind of day we long for in mid-winter...the sun was shining, birds were singing, and I was able to work outside without a coat, it was 47 degrees! It was an ideal day to prepare for the possible snowstorm coming our way...extra wood was stacked, the generator double-checked, and a few more groceries bought. It felt good at the end of the day to have things checked off the list and be prepared.  

Contrast that with today...we're presented with a bleak gray light and a cold rain that chills us to the core. It doesn't help that our newly repaired furnace is off because our propane tank is empty. I have called the company 6 times to have it filled...the most polite thing I can say, is that their customer service is sorely lacking, and I am VERY cranky.

However; this just came across our local alert system: 


...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING
TO 7 AM EST FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 7 to
12 inches and ice accumulations of a light glaze. North winds
gusting as high as 30 mph.

Heaviest snow expected Thursday afternoon and evening. Snowfall rates may approach one inch per hour.


Oh joy, rapture...something in my pioneer spirit longs to be snowed in! We're ready, and even if we lose power (ice here can bring down power lines so easily) we have oil lamps, candles, board games, and a fireplace to cook in and to keep us warm. And with the groundhog seeing his shadow, it appears that winter will linger...let's at least make this an event!

And so I am off to get cozy and settle in for the evening...whatever will be, will be as the old
Doris Day song goes.

Leaving you with a few pictures of what's caught my eye this week...


images in the snow...impressions of bird wings
(no feathers in sight, so perhaps a little snow dance?)


another wing pattern...


not sure of this one...I'm guessing still more wing patterns. 


end of the day...

on a nearby road...wonder if it's for sale?
Why?


Source:

because I'm crazy about this!
(ahhh, a girl can dream)


5 comments:

  1. I have always wanted an old corn crib like that, however not for this reason, but this is a really great idea! We have the same forecast here in Michigan it seems. We are enjoying a warm fire right now and am hoping we do not lose power as the trees are heavy with snow and just our luck one will fall down on a power line. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and I to be spared that. So much beauty nature gives us. Thanks for sharing those wing patterns! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely feeling to know you are prepared for whatever the storm throws at you. Enjoy your cozy fire and stay warm :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness - a fixed furnace and no fuel??? I'm so sorry to hear that but, thankfully, you guys have back-ups. There have been issues in our area with delivery as well.

    We were lucky recipients after you of that storm. By the time it reached us we received about 5 inches of sleet and 5-6 inches of snow. We were supposed to receive about a foot of snow only. As we were attempting to remove it all I said to my husband "and why do we still live in this area????" he replied "because we hate the heat. just remember how hot and humid it is in summer wherever you're thinking about..." And so, he was right again. 😉

    I have to tell you, I have never seen wing prints in the snow on our property. Many many different wildlife footprints, but never wings. They are beautiful! Happy to hear you all made it through the illness with not much for symptoms.

    Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Staci - yep, no propane! You wouldn't believe me if I told you the story. To sum it up, I called a total of 30 times, they promised delivery the same day on so each occasion, but didn't show...I would call to ask where they were and only got voicemail. The last time I actually spoke to someone telling them we had a contract and it was their responsibility to deliver, they hung up on me. We can't force them to come...all we can do is find a new company. Grrr.

    On a happier note...yes, the wing prints are so unusual, I love them! With no feathers or evidence of a sad run in with a cat perhaps, I can only guess they swoop down to visit the feeders and leave the prints. And I agree...while I might be grumbling about the lack of furnace, I do have to say, compared to the heat & humidity of summer, I'll take this any day!

    Take care...always so nice to hear from you! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janice - a cozy fire on a winter's night is the best...hope the power stayed on and you're doing well. So what is your dream for a corn crib? You always have such clever ideas! Stay warm, Mary

    Margaret - I felt prepared, but who would have thought the propane company would turn out to be less than helpful? Ugh... Oh well...lots of baking going on here, keeps the kitchen warm, but isn't exactly good for my waistline! Sending you northern winds to cool you from the summer's heat! Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10