Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Thursday, September 23

a change in the weather...

Last week I was wearing a broad-brimmed straw hat and trying to beat the heat & humidity.
No make-up, old gardening clothes, and giving in to the irresistible urge to spray my face and head with cold water from the garden hose (it's days like these that you hope no one drops in for an unexpected visit!)  

                                          

It's a balancing act between summer and fall...a time when the garden begins to slow down (except for the grape tomatoes and jalapeno peppers, which are non-stop), and the days are spent picking the last of the tomatoes, zucchini, and watermelon. The garden was tilled, and soon I'll add compost and put it to bed for the winter.

Saturday my goal was to pick all the Fuji apples. Apples were so abundant this year, that the limbs were bending...so after filling a wheel barrow to overflowing, I'm now whipping up apple butter and apple pie filling as quickly as I can.



True, they look nothing like store-bought apples...but that's okay, we don't spray them. And while they may not look perfectly, perfect on the outside, inside they look, and taste, terrific. 

Yesterday brought a big change in the weather...storms blew in and filled the day with rain. Today, we woke up to a breezy, brisk 48 degrees.

                         


The leaves are changing,





the sunrises are spectacular,




as are the sunsets. 




It's time to prepare for the winter days ahead. We've stored our first order of hay with another delivery to come, and there's a little firewood left to split and stack. Soon we'll be buttoning up the chicken coop and run along with the goat shed to keep everyone cozy. 

That was a quick peek at our week, now it's time for me to get back and tackle the mountain of apples waiting for me. There's chili simmering on the stove and plans for hot chocolate later...it just seems like the perfect day for them.

My favorite time of year!






10 comments:

  1. It's my favorite time of year as well. Our weather change is starting today and I'm absolutely thrilled. The humidity has been a bit much this year.

    I had to laugh at your description of working in the heat and humidity with the hope that no one would stop by unexpectedly. I've had quite a few of those days this year..... 😊

    Here's hoping to have a fall season that lasts just a little bit longer this year. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Staci, glad to know I'm not alone! I really do try to look my best, but it's impossible when the summer heat is just too much. I absolutely agree...I wish fall was longer; we deserve a break from the heat to enjoy all the beauty is has to offer. Hope all is well, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I found your blog from Prims by the water. Your posts are great and I can relate to many of your postings. Our garden is almost done and the wood stacking is going to be moving right along. Your farm sounds adorable. I live in the country surrounded by farms but we just enjoy our 6 acres and the quiet of small town life. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Fall is my favorite season and the festivals are beginning so hopefully we'll be able to hit a few and I might have something to blog about! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yaya...thanks so much for stopping by! It sounds like you're doing the same things we are, stacking wood and wrapping up the garden. 6 acres and a quiet, small town sound perfect...I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary :)
    I must say, your tomatoes look absolutely delicious! I love "natural" apples like that, they taste so much better somehow.
    Autumn is such a lovely season, I hope you get time to enjoy it while you are busy putting down all those stores.
    Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Margaret - I love a homegrown tomato on a BLT (or BLAT as my daughter says...bacon, lettuce, avocado, and tomato). Somehow the ones from the grocery are never as good. I do love autumn best...I do wish it lasted longer. Thanks for the good wishes...a reminder for me to slow down and enjoy it while it lasts. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually wore jeans today and a hoodie. Autumn is definitely in the air. M favorite time of year. It warmed up a bit this afternoon and we managed to grill some hamburgers. Oh how I love Fuji apples! You have a nice bunch! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janice - yay, nothing so cozy as a hoodie, and to grill without the gnats of summer sounds great! I had to pull out the space heaters for a couple rooms...brrr. Thanks for thinking my apples are nice...Fuji's are my favorite!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mary, thanks for dropping by my blog :) Your Autumn preparations sound amazing, all those yummy apples! Your tomatoes look great too. Our tomatoes are just at the seedling stage, not yet ready to plant out. Labour Day, October the 25th, is the date when most people here in Auckland aim plant their veggie gardens. Just waiting for the more settled weather now. Have a great week. Rose x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rose, thanks for stopping by...glad you like my "imperfectly, perfect" apples. (Makes me wonder what is sprayed on the store-bought ones to make them so beautiful.) You'll be enjoying your garden when we're dreaming of spring...it'll be fun to see your veggies and flowers while we're shoveling snow! Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10