Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Thursday, October 7

autumn frenzy...




In October, I'm like a squirrel preparing for winter...frenetic, some might say. And oh, how the dictionary definition makes me laugh: 


"Frenetic - fast and energetic in a rather wild and uncontrolled way."


I wouldn't say I'm particularly fast or energetic, and I'm definitely not wild and uncontrolled! However, I am determined. I keep a notebook handy with my to-do list (which is way too long) and I try to mark something off each day. Some days, a project gets shuffled to another day, but I keep plugging away. 




It's what I call Autumn Frenzy. The dash to try and outwit Mother Nature by wrapping up outdoor projects and chores...all that needs doing before the snow, ice, and brutal temperatures of Winter are upon us. Now, don't get me wrong, I love sitting next to a cozy fire while the snow piles up outside. It's a wonderful time to take a step back from the daily garden chores that are so hard to keep up with in the summer heat & humidity. But in autumn, it's hurry up time!

Farmers are busy...while corn still stands in the fields, the beans have been harvested,




and although the garden has wrapped up, the zinnias and geraniums still greet us with cheery blooms.



What's on today's list? Cleaning the chicken coop and prepping it for winter, putting the last of the garden to bed, and trimming fruit trees. it's cool and cloudy, making it a great day to dig in and get the work done!

From my little corner of the world, sending you good thoughts wherever you are, on the beautiful October day! 






(PS...if you're wondering how to make the pumpkins, it's oh-so easy. Just use a permanent Sharpie marker...it'll hold up great in the outdoor weather.)


7 comments:

  1. Yes being a framers granddaughter I surely do know what it means to bring the harvest in and be prepared for Winter. Love your pumpkins. What a fun idea! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pumpkins are beautiful!! Oh how I LOVE the fall. And yes, it always always always goes too quickly and we almost never get our to-do list completed but it's such a spectacular time of the year.

    The word frenetic made me laugh. It immediately evoked images of you rushing around and squirreling away food and such for winter. 😁 I know what you're saying though, it certainly feels like that at times. I had hoped we would get a bit more done around here but my husband is finally FINALLY taking time for himself so I want to encourage him to go fishing as long as the weather allows. The to-do list can wait for next year.

    Our days have been lovely, 70 degrees, and our nights have been cool, upper 40's to 50's. It's been absolutely perfect.

    Wishing you a wonderful week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janice - you definitely know first hand how the season goes! The farmers are on top of harvest now, but there are times when the combines are working both day and night. The pumpkins are so easy...bet you could sell some in your shop...love all your Halloween inspiration! Mary

    Staci - it sounds like you and I are both working hard to cross off items on that to-do list. Today we're outside again, we've had so much rain, the grass is growing like crazy and mowing has been non-stop since spring. Like you, I absolutely love fall and wish it could last a bit longer. Our leaves are just beginning to change color...yours look lovely already. Enjoy this wonderful time...and yes, a little fishing and R&R is a must! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your seasons are so different to ours. We don't experience that frenetic time of preparation as our winters are so mild. I hope you get all your to-do chores done before the weather changes. And make sure to take some time to simply enjoy the beauties of autumn :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Margaret...I'm admiring your pretty iris flowers, but will have to wait until April or May for mine to appear. And you're right, it's important to take time to settle in and enjoy the season we are in. October is my favorite month...filled with pumpkin carving, bonfires, and hot chocolate. I'll keep your words in mind...take some time to simply enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary, your autumn preparations for winter do sound like hard work to get done in time. I hope that you are also having fun and enjoying the autumn season :) We are busy here planting out our Spring vegetables. It is so warm at the moment that we have all our windows open already! See you again soon. Hugs, Rose x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rose, you're absolutely spot on...take time to enjoy the season! it is my favorite...not too hot, not too cold, and such beautiful colors. Today I'll be sure to put fun things on my to-do list and not miss out...thanks for the inspiration! Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10