Welcome to an 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Sunday, September 15, 2024

a note to say hi!

As I write, it's 87 degrees at 5 pm...too hot for me, and too hot for mid September! We've been teased with a few cooler days and nights, but Mother Nature always bounces back to that summertime heat. 

I am ready for it to be over! Ready for cozy sweatshirts and bonfires, crackling fires and bowls of chili, chocolaty cocoa and quilts. Secretly wishing for a long, brisk autumn and a cold, snowy winter that lasts until March!

Today I'm sharing a few snapshots of what the typical days have been like lately...the little happenings in my corner of the world and the days as I see them.


beautiful sunsets,


that brought forecasts of upper 30's overnight...
never, ever have I covered veggies in the garden! 



but I couldn't let the huge, volunteer pumpkins 
and watermelons freeze, 


or the Swiss Chard (I gave up on lettuce a couple of years ago, so tired of it bolting before I could get to it. While lots of people cook Swiss Chard, for me, it's the perfect lettuce replacement. It grows 2 feet tall and never bolts.


flowers are cheery alongside the coop,


and the kittens are growing!


this is TOO hot, 
and of course, it falls on canning day!



I bought this a couple of years ago, I just didn't want my 1950 Hotpoint stove cooking all day long...didn't think it would be good for her. I can't say enough, it's a great little canner. Then out came the pressure canner...why yes, the kitchen did look like a cyclone came blowing through.



pizza sauce, pasta sauce, tomato juice, salsa...first wave.


harvest happening all around


I tagged along as my daughter went to a concert a bit north of us, afterward, we spent the night at an Airbnb...pizza, episdoes of Dr. Who, and face masks, all with our feet up...a fun girls overnight getaway! Before coming home, we visited a living history farm, LOVED it, could move right into any of the buildings, I found lots of inspiration for decorating this old house,


and for trying new skills on my wish list


I'll give you a little tour next post, just in case there are a few kindred spirits out there...old-fashioned souls like me. 

The farm had terrific ideas for me to bring home...buildings were filled with antiques, a wool spinner who was kind enough to let me take a turn at her great wheel (huzzah!), heritage sheep, happy hens, flower gardens, and such wonderful history. 



Well, that's it for now...I try to keep Sunday a quiet day, so I'm going to make a few brownies and start a new book. 

Bailey has her heartworm check-up tomorrow morning...wish us luck. She looks good, seems to feel really good, and I can tell she's anxious to get outside again to run, jump, and play! 




She gets lots of TLC, and I can highly recommend the stuffed pig from IKEA as the perfect snuggle toy!

(and my son’s toes peeking out from under the blanket - not Bailey’s 😂 thanks Robin - still laughing!)

Have a good week, friends.
























 








9 comments:

  1. Ok...I was mentally tucking away your beautiful photos and experiences and what I wanted to say...and then I got TOTALLY distracted by that last photo... I do wish Bailey and you luck at her appointment tomorrow...but...I gotta ask: Is there a human somewhere under that blanket or does Bailey have paws that look like little human feet??? LOL. I can't stop laughing - seriously! Anyways...your canned goods look SOOO wonderful. I didn't can tomatoes this year...hoping I have enough from last year to see me through. (I only do chopped type sauce that I use for chili and homemade tomato soup...not the pizza sauces, etc.) I don't have a garden so I just buy some tomatoes in bulk from the farmer's market. That living farm experience looks and sounds AMAZING! I can't wait for your post about it. I wish there were something like that close by here. Hope you have a great new week ahead! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Robin - you have made ME laugh out loud! In my attempt to find a cute photo of Bailey, I completely overlooked my sons’s toes peeking out of the blanket! Ha - your giggle for the day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm with you on the readiness for autumn. We are enjoying some beautiful weather (no 90's in a couple of weeks), and relishing it every day.
    Love your balance of work and play. Your snapshots are always so inspiring. They take me away to a centering space. Peace and blessings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we’re turning a page temperature-wise. I don’t want to wish away time but this heat is just too much for me. And thanks - you always say something to boost me up! Some days are definitely unbalanced that’s for sure, it’s those days I look for a quiet spot and just sit, close my eyes, and try to get back on track . I like your phrase, “centering space “ that’s a terrific way to think of it. I’ll remember that😊

      Delete
  4. Sending good wishes for Bailey's check up. Living history farms are a favorite of mine too. I'm definitely a kindred spirit. Your canning jars are beautiful all lined up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurie! We just got back from the vet and she is all clear of heartworm - No restrictions back to running and playing! Yay! She’s had to be restricted and quiet for so long – not allowed to have her heart rate raised during the procedures - After four months we’re looking forward to some fun! First thing on the list is a big bubble bath, and then a long walk around the nearby lakes. I’m so glad to have a kindred spirit across the miles- us old-fashioned souls have to stick together! I hope you’ll enjoy the pictures when I post them.

      Delete
  5. Haha, I wondered about the toes :)
    That farm sounds like a wonderful place to visit. I once had a sister-in-law who kept coloured sheep and would spin, knit, and weave the wool she got off them. I believe she also used to experiment with dying the wool as well.
    Your kitchen may have looked a bit "overcrowded" but what a joy and satisfaction to be able to sit back and look at all your handiwork (apart from the pleasure of eating it!).
    Loved looking at your photos. Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fingers tightly crossed for Bailey. Those eyes get me every time.
    The weather is getting cooler here now, I have a feeling this week will be the last of our warm sunshine. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh, yes, that is just too hot for September. I saw in the comments that Bailey had a good check-up and is cleared for playing so hooray for that! I bet that farm was amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10