Welcome to an 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Tuesday, August 06, 2024

summertime in the country

August  - hazy, hot, humid. 

The 3 H’s that can make can make even the simplest of tasks seem challenging.



While I missed National Ice Cream Day in July, I’m making up for it tomorrow. Deep cleaning of the basement unearthed an ice cream maker (hope it still works) and so Wednesday it will be put to use…I see root beer floats in my future! 

Until then, it’s back to the basement - I’m certain things multiply, aren’t you?  Today will wrap up all the sorting, with only packing up items that will be donated remaining. (Did I mention 1864 dirt floor basement - quite messy). 

Even with the 3 H’s there is beauty to be found if we only take time to look for it:


  









A reader had asked about the 6 “trees” I mentioned in another post that support this old house - it’s true!  


Tree trunks were common structural supports through the 1920”s…usually black locust trees because they’re so resistant to decay and insects. That’s what these supports appear to be. 

There are a few metal supports as well, but I do have 6 of these black locust beauties still doing their job after 160 years - rock solid. 

So…

What’s in YOUR basement?!



8 comments:

  1. Ugh...don't even ask!!!!! Too much stuff that needs purging...that's what's in my basement. And mice...unfortunately. Apparently, when we remodeled, the foundation was not properly capped so there is direct access from the outside in. Just what I need. I love the tree supports. That is something I've never seen before. And, I confess, I've never heard of black locust trees. I looked them up and it says they are an invasive species here. Wow...I must live under a rock LOL. As always, your photos are amazing...The one of the barn is a special beauty. Hope things cool down for you. We have several days this week where our highs will only be in the 60's...wish I could share! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Robin, I bet there are very few basements that don’t need some level of purging! I was pulling out paperwork from high school and college, shaking my head and asking myself, “Why?!”. Things that are sentimental are understandable, but so much had been stacked and forgotten. I’ll tell you what’s driving me – the idea called Swedish Death Cleaning - I don’t want my kids to have to do this. There will be enough important things to sort, no reason for them to go through useless junk. And you do not live under a rock, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a Black Locust tree. I wasn’t even sure they were still around! Oh and 65 is my favorite temperature - I’m so jealous. Enjoy it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most New Zealand homes don't have basements, so we usually use the garage for storing all the stuff we always seem to accumulate. How marvellous to see those old tree trunks - something I have not heard of before. I'm glad you are managing to find so much beauty around you even with the 3-Hs causing issues. Your cooler weather will arrive soon LOL. Mxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m thinking a garage is the best idea Margaret - maybe then I wouldn’t have so much junk - I’d need to make room for the car to fit in! I saw the first red maple leaf yesterday so fall will be here soon. My favorite time of year!

      Delete
  4. No basement here, but I can imagine the treasures of an old house.
    The summer blooms and afternoon showers make the season unique. It's still my least favorite season, but thankfully, here in the Piedmont, it only lasts for a few months.
    I have used the Swedish Death Cleaning as well. It feels good knowing that those left behind will have less to deal with. Crack on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for cheering me on Daisy! Today I stacked 8 foot boards found down there - my mind is already wondering what I can make from them. Today I’m off to the recycler with old cardboard. My son heads back to college in a week - wrapping all this up will keep me busy (I’m such a cryer😕).

      Delete
  5. Oh, Wow! That's quite a support.
    No basement here, so I don't have that to de-clutter, at least :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We, too, have a dirt floor basement. No trees though. 😁 Because it has gaps where mice can get in my husband built a huge food armoire so I can store excess + use it as a root cellar since the temps and humidity stay pretty low (but not freezing). The armoire is all closed up and works perfectly.

    All summer has been a LOT of heat, haze, and humidity so I'm hopeful we'll see a reprieve this month. It would be nice, anyway.

    Wishing you luck in your cleaning - I'm sure it feels good to get it done. And an ice cream machine to boot. Great find down there!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10