Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Friday, December 22

2 days, 6 hours, 25 minutes, and 18 seconds...


That's what the Christmas Countdown on my phone tells me...am I ready?

Well, I still have wrapping to do and stockings to fill...but other than that, I do think I'm ready. While I felt earlier this month as if I was running behind, somehow, it's all come together...and that's good. 

Christmas should not be a season of holiday humbug. It's a time best spent gazing out the window wishing for Christmas snow, delighting in the sounds of familiar carols, savoring the aromas of traditional foods, sipping hot chocolate, and listening to a crackling fire. A season of comfort & joy.

While our tree has been up since Thanksgiving, other than lights and the garland, I held off on decorating it until my son was home from college so we could all do it together - now it's glowing with all the sentimental, familiar ornaments.




No, it doesn't look like it belongs in a shop window; however, for me, it's perfect...filled with memories. 

We all get caught up in it sometimes, don't we? The feeling that the holidays are a comparison of how "perfectly perfect" everything is...our gifts, our tree, our decorations. But here's the truth...how much I decorated (or didn't), how beautiful my gift wrapping is (or isn't - I am a big believer in gift bags!), and how photo-worthy my tree is (or isn't) doesn't matter. GASP!

We all know what to do, but sometimes forget: keep it simple, be there, enjoy every moment. 




Here's a look at a few of my favorite ornaments:

because my daughter loves popcorn,


and my son loves hot & spicy foods,


and yes, we're Dr. Who fans!


little newborn footprints,


places we've visited, 


and sweet wreaths made in Kindergarten.



this is my favorite Santa...he's keeping watch from on top of the Boone cupboard in the kitchen



we also have a tall, skinny tree that's filled with old-fashioned ornaments...


postcards of vintage homes decorated for Christmas,


knit stockings and rusty snowflakes,


hand-stitched candy canes,


and Popsicle stick trees made by little hands. 



And so, with my remaining 2 days, 6 hours, 25 minutes, and 18 seconds, I'd better take my own advice and focus on being present...I'm off to bake some more cookies, watch favorite movies, and curl up beside a snoozing dog!




Sending heartfelt wishes for you to have a wonderful, cozy, joy-filled Christmas.





10 comments:

  1. You are oh-so right. Enjoy all of the magic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend! What a beautiful message! And your tree is amazing. I so enjoyed seeing and hearing about your ornaments. I love them all, especially the very special ones made by your littles. Peyton made a wreath in preschool so many years ago. It is her precious little picture surrounded with pretzels! She has it on her tree now! Merry and Blessed Christmas to you and your family. I envision many cozy days for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved hearing that Peyton has her little preschool picture...that's so sweet! They really are precious memories. Thanks for all your inspiration...here's to cozy winter days/nights just enjoying the down time!

      Delete
  3. Your decorations are beautiful, Mary. Wishing you and your loved ones a very Merry Christmas, filled with love, joy and laughter. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jules, I'm so glad to have found your blog...your walking adventures have encouraged me to do the same. I appreciate it so much...those walks can help alleviate some of the stresses in life. Hoping you are enjoying the holidays as well!

      Delete
  4. Dear Mary, wishing you a very merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year! Hugs, Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose! So glad to see what you're doing in your new home...so many wonderful flowers and fruit trees, how lucky!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful decorations. Loved reading your post today. Hope you had a wonderful magical Christmas! Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Janice - sending holiday wishes to you, enjoy the long evenings...a little more "me" time for you!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10