Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Tuesday, August 15

the not shop, shop!

Funny title for a post, but that's what the kids call it!  


If you've been reading this blog awhile, you may recall a post here about a milkhouse on the farm. For a long while I've been thinking it could make a nice little spot for customers to pick up Cottage Foods...baked goods, jams, honey, breads...items our state doesn't require a commercial kitchen for bakers to sell. 

I can't open a shop, but I can have people stop by to pick up their cottage foods...that's why it's the "not shop, shop!"

And so finally, after ages of plotting & planning, on August 5, I had an open house.  I invited friends & neighbors to visit and sample baked goods, then give me an opinion on what they liked and thought would be best sellers. We had a grand time!  

Last week, was my first official day open...just for 3 hours in the afternoon, once the farmers' market on the town square closes at 12, my hope is people will swing by to see what's for sale here.

And so I turned the sign to "OPEN" and surprise, I had some neighbors, friends & people who were just driving by stopped in...yay, off to a good start!

Anyway, I thought you might like to see a few pictures of how the milkhouse looked before and then after improvements were made.  Yes, it was in really rough shape when I began...built in the 1950's and honestly, neglected for years (low priority, I admit). 

Visit YouTube™ for a song that was constantly going through my mind as I tried to keep thinking about and working toward the end, just click here: 


Panic! at the Disco, High Hopes  


BEFORE...






I swept, dusted, scraped paint, washed windows, filled cracks in the cement block, stained the floor, and then finally the fun stuff began. I had our local hardware store match paint so it would be the original color, then I pulled out spare items to decorate with...some goodies had been given as gifts over the years, others I found for a song at a mercantile shop, while still others were hiding in the barn just waiting to be dusted off. 

There's no electricity (yet - fingers crossed, someday!) so I have battery-operated twinkle lights in minnow buckets hanging from the ceiling, and twinkle lights in the old kerosene stove and the antique potbelly stove (which couldn't be installed because, hmmm, it was old, with no UL rating, so it isn't seen as safe for indoor use).

AFTER!














If you want to see what's happening at the "not shop" from time to time, you can click here -


Thanks for taking my little before & after tour!

18 comments:

  1. What an amazing transformation! I would shop your sweet little market if I lived nearby. Good luck with future sales, but homemade is always BEST!!! Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Janice - it's nothing compared to what you're doing every day! I'm just hoping that keeping foods with local ingredients and in-season will be different enough to attract customers - thanks so much for the good wishes, I really appreciate them!!

      Delete
  2. That is awesome. I love the old multi-pane window. Yay for a successful opening. Also, checked out your "not store" site - your prices are super reasonable! (at least by comparison to anything around here)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much...the old 9-pane window was in the barn (amazing none of the panes were broken) That front window was screen-only so I had to use something to cover it so in the old window went...it's hanging by hinges! How's that saying go, "needs must when the Devil drives" do whatever I had to do to make a window! And good to hear about prices...for me, that's the hardest thing...high enough to make a profit, but not too high that turns people away - a balancing act for sure.

      Delete
  3. What "Prims By the Water" said! It's spectacular! Congrats and continued blessings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You so kind ... thanks so much. As the song says, "I always had high, high hopes" Appreciate you sending the good wishes!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness!!!!! I love it!! I hope you do so well.
    I am going to check out your link.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy...there are worse before pictures I just didn't think I should post...yikes! Anyway, hoping the word gets out to the local community. So grateful for your good thoughts coming my way!

      Delete
  5. How wonderful! You have it decorated so beautifully. Best of luck in your "Not-shop shop".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie - so appreciate you saying this...fingers (and toes) crossed that it'll not only give me a little change of pace, but that I'll have some steady customers. Thank you again for the "good luck" coming my way!

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness!!!! My friend, it is perfect!!! You did an unbelievable job!!! I would be your very best customer, you know! Congratulations, and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Thank you so much Billie Jo...you are so sweet...wish you lived closer! We'll see how it goes...fingers crossed.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on a great (and grand) opening! Such a sweet shop...you did a beautiful job creating such a cute shop. I know many will look forward to "swinging by" on Saturday afternoons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so appreciate your encouragement - we have terrific Cottage Food Laws that allow us home bakers to share with the town!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations!! It looks beautiful! I'm sure it will be loved by many. Who doesn't love homemade? Wishing you the best my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Staci for your kind words...YOU have such a successful business, I can learn so much from reading about your soap company...beautiful packaging, wonderful creations, clever names. I appreciate your example!

      Delete
  9. Oh my! What a truly remarkable transformation.
    Your 'not shop' looks absolutely delightful. I just wish I lived nearer, so that I could sample some of your delicious produce.
    It's certain to be a huge success. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules, thanks for stopping by - I know your days are busy (and full of fun from the looks of your pictures!) You're thoughtful to send good wishes across the miles...would love it if my "not shop" was in a little stone farmhouse in the Dales!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10