Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Wednesday, April 6

throwback Thursday...bread & butter pickles

Maybe it's just me, but I think Mother Nature is enjoying a little April Foolery. 

Hmmm, do you see any funny business going on?


snow...


rain...


ice...



While I like to think of April as a rather flowery, showery month, so far, it's been a whirlwind of anything goes. Oh well, I have plenty to keep me out of trouble inside, no need to worry about what needs doing outside...that time will come soon enough.

I've been working on a shelf I brought in from the barn...I'd say built in the 1950's, a little worse for the wear, but I just felt that it needed a home indoors. I've gently brushed out oodles of dirt & dust, wiped it down, and added a light protective coat of beeswax. When it's "just right" I'll share some pictures. For now, I'm still tinkering, as the saying goes. Speaking of "tinkering" just for fun I looked up a definition...this made me laugh:


"To attempt to repair or improve something 
in a casual or desultory way,
often to no useful effect."


"...no useful effect." Hmmm, well some may agree, the jury is still out on that!




Today's Throwback Thursday...
the recipe for my grandmother's
Bread & Butter Pickles. I've had this recipe for ages, so last summer I decided it was time to make them.

I'm so glad I did...they tasted just like I remember my grandmother's pickles tasting. I lived with my grandmother until I was 10, and while I was making these pickles, I loved knowing it was her handed-down recipe in her own handwriting.

Now a word of caution: if you've never used a water bath canner or prepared foods for pickling, read all that you can (I'll provide some links below) before you begin. It's of the utmost importance that care be taken to ensure preserved food is completely safe.

NOTE: This recipe is shared exactly as it was written decades ago; however I've given notes below it: some are changes I made for personal preference, the remainder are specifics I use for safe water bath canning.


Maymie Mae's Bread & Butter Pickles

4 qts. cucumbers, thinly sliced, ends discarded*
6 white onions, thinly sliced
2 green peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1/3 c. coarse medium salt*
5  c . sugar
1-1/2 t. turmeric
1-1/2 t. celery seed
3 T. mustard seed
3 c. cider vinegar

In a very large bowl, combine cucumbers, onions, peppers and whole garlic cloves. Add salt and mix with ingredients; cover with cracked ice. Let stand 3 hours; drain thoroughly.

Combine remaining ingredients and pour over cucumber mixture. Heat to a boil. Seal in hot sterilized jars.**



* 4 qts. cucumbers, thinly sliced

you'll need about 2 lbs. per quart, so depending on the size of your pickling cucumbers (about 4-inches on average) you may need 8-10 lbs.

 * 1/3 c. coarse  medium salt
I used pickling salt


** at this point I give more clarification as to what steps I took, but it's still important to review the links below for detailed instructions on preserving foods.


I placed my drained, rinsed cucumber mixture in my large Power Cooker, added the vinegar mixture and let cook until it came to a boil, then boiled 5 minutes.

I carefully ladled the hot pickle mixture into hot pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. I removed air bubbles by inserting a flat spatula into each jar and slowly moving around the jar edge. Jar rims were wiped clean, sterilized lids added, then sterilized rings secured to "fingertip tight."

I placed each jar into the rack of a water bath canner, lowered it into the simmering water until jars were completely covered with water. I let the water come to a boil and processed for 15 minutes. The canner rack was carefully lifted from canner, jars were gently removed and set aside on a heat-proof surface to cool. I then listen for each jar lid to "ping" (just like I did as a kid!) meaning the lid has sealed to the jar properly.

Yield: about 14 pints


Canning Links:






I hope you'll give this recipe a try, or better yet, grab a girlfriend and make it together!

 

10 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see your shelf!!! Sounds wonderful! And I was just thinking about the weather yesterday. I agree. When I think of April, I think of flowers and green grass, butterflies, and birds! So far...snow, ice, and rain! But, like you said, all that will come soon enough! Have a cozy afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my - snow AND ice? We've only had rain, thankfully. My garden is fully exposed now as the snow has melted so I'd like to keep it that way. 😊

    Such fun that you've got a new/old shelf! Those are the best projects. I've never looked up the tinkering definition but that is so funny how accurate it is to the reality of, well, tinkering.

    Today is ☂ rain, rain, rain, so we're enjoying some indoor time. There will be plenty of days to enjoy outdoor time. Have a wonderful rest of the week and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am loving to read your recipe each week and had a giggle at that definition of tinkering. When I first met my hubby, he seemed to always be 'tinkering' with his car motor - and that definition was it exactly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I have never been a fan of bread and butter pickles. My mom would can them every year, and every year I still hated them. I agree that Mother Nature is playing a big April Fools on us. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Billie Jo - the shelf has initials on the front...I need to get more information on previous owners of our home and see if I can pin down who they were. Will keep you posted! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Staci - the snow and ice were quick to pass, but still such a surprise. It's supposed to be in the 60's a couple days next week - ha, we'll see! Still working on the shelf...arranging things on it, yep tinkering - it's too heavy to hang on plaster walls, so I've put it on a table...fingers crossed it'll look good in the end! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Margaret - thanks so much, glad you like the recipes. It's been fun to look through them and see how things have changed. Hmmm, maybe tinkering is less about getting a perfect solution, but more meant to be a stress reliever...no high pressure expectations, just creative work for the right side of our brains! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janice - sweet gherkins would be my first pickle choice, but I think because my grandmother made them, I felt I should, too...a way of preserving her memory. We have jars and jars...I don't think I'll need to make any this summer. Hmmm, maybe sauerkraut?! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Snow in April!? Yikes, we've had cold weather this past month but no snow that I remember. I'm just catching up on my emails and have just seen this post. I love bread and butter pickles and your recipe looks really good! Lately we are enjoying "hot and sweet pickles" - like Wickles, have you had those? I'm wondering if I could use one or maybe two jalapeno peppers in place of the green pepper in the recipe? I might try it just to see! Jan in MA

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Janice, I love Wickles! Hmmm, maybe we can find a copycat recipe. If you like jalapenos, have you tried Cowboy Candy? Oh my...jalapenos that are sweet, hot, wonderful - I'll have to post the recipe soon, it's a great way to use up the bounty from your garden! Thanks for stopping by, hope all is well, Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10