Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Wednesday, April 13

a "pop" of red...

I thought I would skip Throwback Thursday this week because I'm sure you have your own favorite family recipes that you'll be making for the holiday weekend. While I know some are closely guarded secrets, if you can, why not share a tried & true recipe in one of your posts?
It would be terrific to try a handed-down recipe that's a must-have for you!

In-between bursts of Spring Cleaning, I'm working on the shelves I brought in from the barn. I've arranged and then rearranged, but I think I'm almost ready to share the final display. 

I really didn't want to buy anything new, so I've been pulling out lots of things I had tucked away trying to find a combination that looks "just right." The last thing to do is make a garland to hang across the front. At Christmastime I bought some dried orange slices, a dried lime, and some other garland goodies to pair with the whole nuts and bay leaves I already have in the cupboard. Soon I'll string them together and see what I can create.

If you're wondering about today's post title...as I worked on the barn shelves, I kept thinking,
"It needs a pop of red." And then I noticed that in most rooms, I have what I'd call a "pop" of red among the darker colors that I like...black, navy, cranberry, hunter green, or mustard. Not a lot of red, just a little something, that well, pops!  Here's a look at some of those little bits...



pillows tucked in a box on the wall


quilt on a trunk holding Christmas ornaments
(Does anyone know the pattern name?
It has only 4 squares of yellow,
all of the others are white.)


striped fabric hanging over a pie safe


a 9-patch quilt on a trunk
filled with baskets


I bought this for a song at a nearby shop
(I think because the owner knew it was
my birthday, so sweet!)
Not sure of the pattern,
maybe Carolina Lilly?

tucked into a small, vintage egg basket,
I believe this pattern is called
Cake Stand & Basket



given to me by my mother-in-law...
does anyone know the pattern name?


Santa stays out all year to help me
try and remember Christmas 
(my son found the heart-shaped rock!)


old books wrapped with a strip
of discarded fabric 




And so there is my little bit of red.

I remember hearing that there should be something in every room that makes you smile...what makes YOU smile?!

   

12 comments:

  1. When I used to paint with watercolours, we were always told to put a spot of red somewhere in the painting as it gives a subtle 'pop' to the picture. My mother used to keep a bright red cushion in her living room as she said it made the room more welcoming. I like to have bright colours around me as they make me feel happier. Isn't it great that we can all be so different and still get the same happy result?
    Hope you have a great day, Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of your red treasures look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little pop of red is so sweet! The trunk that is under the 4 square quilt looks almost identical to one that we have. It used to be my father-in-law's. Your home looks so beautiful and welcoming with all of the meaningful touches.

    I think leaving the one little Santa out year-round is brilliant. I may have to adopt that tradition! I try to have little bits of memorabilia in each room to make me smile - found rocks, bottles, jars, feathers, and, of course, photos.

    Wishing you and your family a wonderful Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your pops of red sprinkled around the house, especially the Santa - what a fun idea. I have a love/hate relationship with the color red. I really love it but my kitchen floor is red and white checks and we inherited two large red oriental rugs from my in-laws. That's a lot more than a "pop" of red and after looking at it for many years I'm looking forward to changing the kitchen floor - we're going to carry the pine floors into that room! I am so excited! Oh, and I love all of your quilts! I wish I could help you with the names. They're all so pretty. Have a wonderful Easter. We don't really have any family recipes to share - we make the basic baked ham, funeral potatoes, sweet potatoes that change every year and some sides. That's about it, not very exciting. Jan in MA

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so agree with your saying that there should be something in every room to make your smile. I love your displays and red really does bring the eye to catch the charm! Wishing you a happy Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking at all of your wonderful pops of red made me smile! Loving all of your displays and cannot wait to see what you come up with for your shelf. Happy Easter! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  7. -Margaret - Oh I'd love to see some of your watercolors...with all the pretty photos you've shared, there is so much beauty to paint! I can just imagine that one red pillow, what a good idea. And you're right, we are all different, and might be miles apart, but it's nice to share what makes us smile...you never know who it might inspire! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Daisy G...awww, thanks so much. One man's junk is an other man's treasure as the saying goes (or woman in this instance!) It's fun to find something for a song that makes my heart happy (like that red/yellow quilt). Enjoy the weekend! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Staci, thank you...that trunk is one my mother-in-law gave me. It's packed with baskets (I used to be more of a collector than I am now). Absolutely...find a sweet little Santa and put him where you can see him each day! And I love that you hold onto some of the same things I do...each year when we till the garden something new pops up: bits of china, glass bottles, colorful rocks or pottery pieces. I put them in a jar so they have a "home." Enjoy your Easter weekend too...and put your feet up before the outdoor chores are in full swing! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jan - Oh, I'll bet you're thrilled about the pine floors, you have to share pictures! That will make such a difference, you'll love them. And the recipes don't have to be exciting, it's all about tradition and what everyone loves best! Sounds like you'll be having a similar menu to ours...ham, make-ahead mashed potatoes, glazed carrots, broccoli salad, baked beans, crescent rolls and carrot cake. I'm going to try my luck at making chocolate cheesecake - fingers crossed! And one of the best things, is it's like Thanksgiving...leftovers for days! Have a good weekend, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eggs in my pocket...thanks - glad you like the red. I only do little bits, maybe I'm just not bold enough to splash it everywhere - ha ha! Wishing you a good Easter weekend! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Janice - appreciate your kind words, as YOU are the Queen of clever displays! I have the shelves done, I think (then again...) I just need to make the garland. I don't really decorate everywhere like I do at Christmas, but I'm really looking forward to changing it up for the seasons and holidays! Fingers crossed some of your inspiring vibes passed across the miles to me! Happy Easter! Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10