Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Thursday, March 24

throwback Thursday...meatballs & pasta sauce





Today's throwback recipe is from my Aunt Leona...she was a switchboard operator for AT&T (seriously, did I just read an article asking "What were switchboard operators for, anyway?" Yikes!)

 

I remember her as a quiet, elegant lady who lived in a pretty home with leaded glass French doors separating the living room from the dining room. (Isn't it funny what particulars we remember from childhood?) 




I'm lucky to have inherited from her a hand-painted china tea set, delicate English china plates, and an over-sized cup & saucer in bold yellows & greens...all are safely tucked in a cupboard, coming out only on special occasions.






And so, with that little story, I give you her meatball & pasta sauce recipe...


(As I mentioned last week, the recipe is true to the original, just as it was written. Below the recipe, I've noted any changes I made, or would make the next time I prepare it, with an asterisk explaining why.)





Leona's Meatballs & Pasta Sauce

Sauce:

2, 29-oz. cans tomato sauce
2, 6-oz. cans tomato paste
2 t. dried basil
1 T. salt*
1/4 t. pepper

Meatballs:

1-1/2 lbs. ground chuck beef
1/2  lb. ground pork
3 T. fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/4 c. grated Italian cheese
1/2 c. dried bread crumbs 
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 c. olive oil


Combine sauce ingredients in a large saucepan; set aside.

Combine all meatball ingredients, except eggs and oil; mixing well. Add eggs to meatball mixture; blend together with a wooden spoon.

With wet hands, shape meat and roll into balls.* Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add meatballs, brown in hot oil; turning once. Add to sauce ingredients, simmer 3 hours.


*1 T. salt

clearly written as "Tablespoon" this resulted in a sauce that was too salty for me...when I make it again, I'll reduce the amount.

* meatballs

I used approximately a tablespoon +/- of mixture, resulting in about 36 meatballs




12 comments:

  1. What a delicate and pretty design on your hand-painted cup. Beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me loves spaghetti. Looks like my recipe only I do not use pork in my meatballs. Thanks for sharing. Also how wonderful to have some of your aunts items. I remember one of my great aunts who never married. Her home was nice with a piano in her living room. One does remember certain things from their childhood and it is nice to reflect on them from time to time. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Margaret - it's fun to wonder what the history is behind it. No writing on the bottom, so it'll never know where it even came from, still, it's sweet to have something handed down.

    Hi Janice - awww, do you remember her playing the piano? Something I wish I could do...we "rescued" an old 1910 piano headed for the dump years ago, and the kids can play, but I never learned. Hmmm, something to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful dishes! It is quite funny the little details we remember from childhood. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post. I love memories and thoughts of those who came before. And thank you for the recipe. I am all about the sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Staci...you're right about the details. Can't recall what I had for dinner last week, but I remember those French doors! Hope things are going well on the farm...we had a bit of snow today. ahhh, Mother Nature is undecided.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Billie Jo, absolutely...to me, pasta is all about the same, but give me really thick sauce full of flavor and that's my favorite part! And you're right, I do like thinking about those who came before...often find myself thinking about those that build this old house (1864) and then the newer barns (1950's) because of the handwriting on some of the boards. Enjoy the rest of your weekend! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved reading about your Aunt Leona and the dishware is so pretty! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much...it's been fun to try so many handed down recipes that have been tucked away! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mary, Just commenting back to you on your prim cabinet. If it is that prim blue one...OMG yes do bring it inside. What a beautiful piece. Are you able to send me the dimensions so I can give you some suggestions? Plus the height of the space underneath the drawers. primsbythewater@yhoo.com is my email. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will have to try these! My son’s favorite meal is spaghetti and meatballs and I always love to try a new recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jessie, nice to meet you! My son's favorite is exactly the same (and he's 18 so I don't think it'll change!) Let me know if you like it or any changes you made, Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10