Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Wednesday, March 16

throwback Thursday...chocolate chip cookies!

 



It's time for my first Throwback Thursday recipe...and it just had to be about chocolate! 

This recipe was one of many handwritten cards tucked into a little green recipe box I found in my mother-in-law's garage. It's not her handwriting, so I'll never know if it was given by a neighbor, friend, or sister.  

Whoever it was that shared the recipe, had, in our opinion, a winner...and we're pretty picky when it comes to chocolate chip cookies!  I've made this recipe several times - they're easy to mix up and ready to enjoy before you know it.  

Because I want Throwback Thursday posts to be true to the original old recipe, I'm sharing ingredient measurements, baking times and temperatures just as they were written.  

Any simple changes I made for the sake of clarification, for example listing baking soda instead of simply soda, aren't noted.

However, any changes I made after my initial testing, are noted with an asterisk and an explanation as to why. 


Chocolate Chip Cookies

2-1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. quick cooking oats
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 c. butter, softened (no substitutes)
3/4 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 c. chopped walnuts*

Heat oven to 375* degrees.

Sift together flour, oats, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. Cream together butter and sugars; about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time; blend well. Stir in vanilla. Add flour mixture; combine well. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. 

Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls, about 2 inches apart, onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 13* minutes, or until golden. Let stand on baking sheet 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack or plate to cool completely. Makes approximately 3-4 dozen. 



*walnuts - 
I substituted pecan chips purely for personal preference

*375 degrees - 
Mae tends to bake on the warm side...I reduced the temperature to 350 degrees

*13 minutes -
because Mae bakes a little warmer, I reduced the baking time to 9-11 minutes


My end result...I hope you like them!






8 comments:

  1. You had me at chocolate! YUM YUM YUM. Did I say Yum? :-) Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. I have all of the ingredients in my pantry for these. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these old recipes, and that one sounds (and looks) delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janice - kindred spirits...I am a chocoholic, too! Let me know if you make them and what you thought. Mary

    Margaret - me too, I'm guessing the recipe is at least 50 years old. Hmmm, somehow that doesn't sound "old" to me anymore! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mae, I love that you named your range! Great recipe, we like pecans in ours too. I have an allergic reaction to walnuts but not pecans so that's what I use in our house. Very nice here today, it's too warm to bake! Over seventy degrees right now, yay! We've been outside and hope to clean the coop this afternoon. Thanks for sharing this recipe, I'll be trying it soon. Jan in MA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! So nice to meet you! I would love to have one of those delicious cookies right now with my afternoon coffee! I am happy to be your newest follower. Have a cozy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Janice - a friend told me that everything vintage should have a name, and so when we named our camper I thought why not the stove? (and you know I named the vintage sewing machine I found) Mae is a workhorse and I love that for 72 years she's been cooking for families.

    Oh 70 degrees sounds just right for coop cleaning, that's on my to-do list too. I'll have to tell my daughter...she's been wanting us to take Maizy and have a girls road trip to Boston...not sure an old camper would be best suited to the big city, but maybe somewhere smaller along the way! (And truly, I'm a "take the back roads, avoid highways" kind of gal...old camper + semi-trucks just makes me too nervous! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Billie Jo, awww, thanks for stopping by, it's always fun to meet new friends that enjoy the same things. It's raining here now, so a cozy night it shall be...I'm loving a hibiscus herbal tea I've discovered, so for me it'll soon be feet up and maybe a favorite movie. Thanks again for visiting! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your recipe and I just loved this post! You made me smile, because I have names for my stove, my washing machine, my washer and so on. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10