Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Wednesday, October 3

rainy day barns...


It's a rainy day in the Midwest, and that means "check beehive" has been moved to another day's to-do list.

However, the rain didn't keep me from capturing photos of old wooden barns along the nearby country roads. "Real" barns...not manufactured and delivered, not shiny & new, but barns with history, barns with heart. 

If only they could talk.

This barn, situated on a state route, was most recently a tanning salon...imagine!
What I love is the glass addition to the left...it could be a wonderful greenhouse.

The cupola atop the barn has windows that would have let light in and allowed hot air to escape.
It is certainly an elegant reminder of our heritage.
The weather vane, along with several lightning rods, caught my eyes as well.

This barn, with it's rounded roof, sits alongside a very old brick farmhouse on a winding country road.

Behind the barn, silos & grain bins can be seen. To the barn's left, yet out of sight, is another very large barn.
This must have been quite a busy homestead when it was a full-time farm.
Why did I spent part of a rainy morning photographing barns?

Well, it seems these barns, so full of history & American heritage, are becoming things of the past. Before I saw another one torn down, or drove by the burning remains of what once was, I wanted to capture all of them that I could.

As I've said in the past, while the thought is sad, I fear that these vanishing landmarks will soon exist only through photography.

4 comments:

  1. I love old barns. It's sad that they sit unused and uncared for for so long that they have to be torn or burned down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos . It was raining here this morning but all cleared up now ! I to love the old barns . It is a shame more don't try to preserve them as they hold the history to many farm lands ! Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share your fear Mary. So glad you captured those two for posterity. The detail on the first one is superb and I can picture the sweat and grunts and the many, many hours of labour it took to build it. May we never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures. We have a wonderful old barn that has weathered to a beautiful gray... love the color but gotta paint it next Spring to keep the wood from rotting. Trying to decide on a color.

    Particularly love the cupola picture. Our house is three stories tall on one side and the roof is a terribly steep pitch.It didn't occur to me to want a cupola until the house and roof were finished... 12 years have gone by and I STILL think we need one. My husband pretends he can't hear me. Nobody wants to get on that steep roof! Long ways down. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10