Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Thursday, June 10

discoveries in June...

The front doors are open and a gentle breeze from the north drifts in. Through the dappled sunlight of old maple trees,
the chattering of morning songbirds greet us. Off in the distance,
the contented sounds of cattle from the dairy farm can be heard. Ahhh...some country pleasures never change.

I've decided today is a perfect day for cleaning up an old pie safe. I've always wanted a pie safe, but, times being what they are, finding one in the right price range proved to be quite a task. However, one February morning, I happened to stumble on an ad that read, "1890 cherry pie safe...great finish, but has some issues including tin dents."

Curiosity got the best of me and I emailed the seller with a few questions...the price was almost a give-away. I pondered it over, but time, as it has a way of doing, got away from me.
However, the pie safe was always somewhere in the back of my mind. Four months later, I made a call...did the seller still have it? Could I come and see it? Yes to both!

Well, what do you think?


True...it needs a little love, but that's just fine with me. Wouldn't we all have a few dents if we were that old? Today I am rubbing it down with a bit of lemon oil and wondering about its history. What stories would it tell if only it could talk?

2 comments:

  1. Not only does it look great for that age, I find it amazing that it;s even still around. What a fantastic find. I'm sure I can hear it breathing a huge sigh of relief knowing that it remains in good hands still. Many a varied story, no doubt, and probably more than a few surprises tucked into its corners.

    It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... that's a find, Mary. Beautiful! You must have been meant to have it... it was just waiting to come home to W.M. Farm!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10