Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Wednesday, April 24

time flies, bringing both happy & sad...

Time to catch up, the weeks are flying by...

Backing up to Easter, this year for dessert I baked a Hummingbird Cake. I've read about them for ages, and so I thought Spring was a good time to try it out. If you like bananas and pineapple I think you'll like this 1970's spice cake.



My daughter created the best charcuterie board...her first try! It was filled with all kinds of crackers, cheeses, chocolate-covered almonds, olives, and the prettiest salami rose! We've decided she's in charge of food for special events/holidays from now on!




A friend shared her extra eggs with me, and they were perfect for Easter. They look as if they've already been dyed. Nope...these are the lovely colors the girls gifted us with - truly, no filter here!


Although we were lucky enough to be right in the path of totality for the Eclipse, my daughter and I decided it would be fun to travel a bit north to a state park, so we drove to Malabar Farm (home of Pulitzer Prize winner Louis Bromfield). Built in the 1930's, the home and farm are beautiful.




While waiting for the eclipse, we visited all the farm animals and walked through the barns. The home is open certain times for tours...we'll be sure and do that on our next visit (it's where Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall were married...please don't say "Who?" I'll feel so, so old!)




How to describe it? The eclipse was all the best words: stunning, mesmerizing, amazing. The temperature dropped, it was cool and quiet, and over far too soon. What a blessing to witness such a once-in-a-lifetime event.




This weekend I made Grandma O's Rolls -  Janice at  Prims by the Water was kind enough to share the recipe. I LOVE that the instructions included using a breadboard, which my old-fashioned self happily did.  Although not picture perfect (I need to work on my roll-shaping skills) they came out tasty and were great warm topped with butter. 

I'll make them again and try to get them just right - thanks so much Janice (and Janice's mom!) for sharing this handed-down recipe.





The weather's been a bit of everything lately, with tornado warnings, freeze warnings, and strong storms. Certainly an up & down Spring.






And while Mother Nature has kept us on our toes and busy, there's also been sadness. Last week we said goodbye to this fellow...Azreal (or Azzie as we called him.)




Azzie found his way to the farm about 12 years ago, and was immediately a part of the family. He got along well with everyone (2-legged or 4-legged) and was dubbed the Dog-Cat - because he was so friendly and dog-like...not aloof as so many cats can be. Also, amazingly, he was housebroken...not due to my training, that's just how he was, like a dog, he'd wait at the door to be let out with never an inside accident. 

Cozy on their favorite blankets, Azzie would snuggle Bailey and we'd find them curled up like this most evenings.






Azzie had fun poses while sleeping...we said he looked like he was jumping off the high dive, 




and that this one resembled a curled up pill bug!




About 2 years ago we noticed what looked like a scratch on his nose that wouldn't heal. The vet told us it was cancer, and sadly there was nothing that could be done. We kept it clean and sprayed it with antiseptic, and he bounced on through life as he always did.

But after this past Christmas, it became much more aggressive...and it was time to talk about the heartbreaking decision. I will be honest, I put off thinking about it because I hoped he'd pass in his sleep. I struggled with that decision...it was easy to put aside the thought when his behavior was as it always had been, but one look at his sweet face, and it was painfully obvious the time had come. 

Any of you who have been through this will know that the animals we invite into our lives are a part of our family. It's not a decision that was made lightly, or quickly with no thought. With a week to prepare Azzie was spoiled more than usual...mashed potatoes were a favorite and the kids picked up a Starbucks Pup Cup for him...a first that was thoroughly enjoyed. He slept by the warm fire, which he always loved, and he slept on my lap.

The vet's staff was kind, and we took our time saying goodbye...still, it was an incredibly difficult moment. Even though our hearts will always hurt, I'm eternally grateful that he found his way here years ago, and that we were able to spend 12 years of our lives with such a sweet boy.

Thanks for letting me share his story with you...





14 comments:

  1. So sorry to read about Azzie. Our Shadow is 11 and starting to fell his age as well. So glad the rolls were tasty and the recipe worked for you. They looked good. I will tell my mom someone else was able to make them. She will be happy to hear. BTW if I remember right...did you use to sell cross stitch sampler patterns? I think it was you, but not sure. We are in a freeze warning for this evening, nd thankfully no tornado warnings so far. Spring is just beginning here though. Knocking on wood none come near us or you for that matter. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Janice - it was a hard week. Please let me know if your mom has any tips for the rolls! No it’s not me that sells patterns - but you’re a mind reader. I thought of you yesterday as I was sorting I found a little cross-stitch book marker kit- I’ll give it a try! I think I’ll look for floss more like what you use though - these colors are a bit bright for me. Freeze warning here too - and then 80 Monday? ๐Ÿ™„

      Delete
  2. Bogie and Bacall, of course I know who they are! :0)

    Those rolls look absolutely scrumptious!

    Your photos always give me pause. I especially love the one with the dark clouds behind the field. Stunning!

    Oh, sweet Azzie. No doubt he was just giving back all of the love you showed him. He can still feel it. Bless you in your sorrow. I'll bet you'll meet again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whew, thanks Daisy! I wasn’t born when they were at their heyday of fame, but they’re a classic - and yet so many don’t know them! I want to be a good roll-maker, one of the memories I have of my grandmother is her wonderful rolls, but no one had a recipe, so I was thinking Janice’s grandmother”s would probably be very similar -I’ll keep at it. And thank you for your thoughtful words about Azzie - I do think he’s running around with all the animals that have lived here - they’ve done no wrong and deserve only the best reward.

      Delete
  3. I am so very sorry for your loss of your sweet cat. My cat had the same thing she was in her 20s and had a nosebleed that is how it started.
    I love hummingbird cake but I have never made it. Your rolls are beyond perfect!
    Your daughters board looks stunning.
    Yes I know who you are talking about two of my favorite actors. Beautiful pictures.
    So glad I had a chance to visit
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy - I’m sorry you had the same loss: it’s hard to go through. I’m reading it’s more common than I knew. I can share the link to the recipe I used if you’d like to bake the cake - it really was very simple. Hope it’s a beautiful weekend in New England!

      Delete
  4. Hello, my lovely friend. I am so very sorry for your loss of sweet Azzie. What a precious member of your family. Thank you for sharing his journey with us. I know exactly what you mean when you said you knew the time had come. The same thing happened with our Kirby last summer. He went as long as he could, until one day, he looked at me with his doggie eyes, and I knew. I knew in my heart he was reaching out to me. Knowing you are doing the right thing does not make it easier, though. So, hugs, my friend. Love the photos of your beautiful life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Billie Jo - thank you. And I apologize - you recently made the same heartbreaking decision and I didn’t fully understand. I don’t think I ever got that look from Azzie - maybe it would have been easier if I had. I just knew it was getting worse and wasn’t going to get better. I like to think now he’s running with all the animals we’ve loved and lost. ๐Ÿ’•

      Delete
  5. Awww....my heart hurts for you and your family. I know the pain of losing a furry member of my family too well it seems. Somehow their losses are felt more keenly - they are such little innocents who love so very unconditionally and ask nothing in return. I love your daughter's charcuterie board. She certainly has the gift. The roses are perfection. And your rolls look wonderful to me. Nothing says love like homemade breads in my book. Beautiful photos each and every one. Those eggs are fantastic! I always have a hard time eating them when they're so pretty and often end up blowing them out to treasure forever LOL. Storms heading our way...looks to be a very rainy weekend with severe storms. Eek. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin - thanks for the kind comment. I know it’s nothing compared to losing a family member- that’s a deeper heartbreak. You said exactly what I feel - I see the animals as innocent and trusting . I’m never sure how they find their way here - either by drop off or wandering I suppose- but they’re welcome to stay for as long as they like. Some of the sweetest souls have come this way. ๐Ÿ’•

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry to hear about Azzie. That is one of the hardest decisions we have to make when we love our pets. Margaret xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to see you Margaret - hope you’re doing well. Your pictures are lovely! Thank you - and yes, you’re right - such a hard decision, I still feel badly - but, oh, his sweet little face must have been painful. I still look for him in the mornings…

      Delete
  7. I'm so sorry to read about lovely Azzie. Although the right decision, it's always the hardest thing. Sending lots of love. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jules - I still feel guilt - such a hard choice to make.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10