Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Monday, November 20

thoughts of harvest...

Colorful pumpkins and squash line the steps signaling that harvest-time is here. Jars of jams, jellies, and pickles made in summer now line the pantry shelves, geraniums are overwintering in the cellar, and fields, once filled with corn, are now bare. There is a sense of quiet and rest.

It's a time to catch our breaths, this time between Thanksgiving and Christmas - it's a short time, and should be enjoyed. Below are just a few photos of what it's like in my corner of the world...toss another log on the fire, settle in with a cup of tea, and listen to some sweet violin music  "e're the winter storms begin."


Even in October, the geraniums were lovely...


and quilts were drying on the clothesline.


Evenings have had the prettiest skies, 


and afternoons were spent discovering old barns; all with stories to tell, I'm sure...a different time, fueled by oats and hay, not gasoline, but still lovely to me.





I love the small-town faith of roadside stands with honesty boxes:



An old lilac tree - which usually blooms in May, gifted us with a few new blooms,
unheard of in October!




Even Bailey is ready for a long winter's nap!





Sending you heartfelt good wishes this Thanksgiving, wherever you may be. 

 


16 comments:

  1. Oh, my friend. What kindred souls are we! I always think about the families and their stories when I see old barns and homesteads. I also cherish this time we are approaching. This is the time we wait all year for, and it seems to pass in a blink of an eye. I am thinking of ways I can be more present and intentional so that I can savor every moment. Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more...I love this quiet, downtime...even with the holidays, it just seems like the perfect season - oh to make it last longer! You're so right...more present, more intentional, more in the moment...wonderful goals for me to remember.

      Delete
  2. Such lovely pictures. We are tucked in with the woodstove going. I have started christmas decorating I have been missing entertaining for the past several years. This will be my year.
    Happy Thanksgiving
    Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks Cathy...those fall leaves are gone already, and it's been so chilly. Oh a woodstove sounds ideal - so cozy. Good for you...make it your year to share with family & friends - sounds great!

      Delete
  3. Oh Bailey. So sweet! That's amazing about the lilac tree. I've never heard of them blooming in late fall. Just another thing to be grateful for. Love the barn photos. I, too, think about the stories they hold whenever I see them. Hoping the kids are home for a bit to spend the holidays with you. Wishing you and your family a happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Staci...that Bailey has stolen our hearts for sure. And yes, the lilac...amazing, I'll have to read up on why that might bloom again in fall. Thanks for mentioning the kids....LOVE the laughter I hear when they're together - it makes my heart so happy.

      Delete
  4. Oh, sweet Bailey! I wish I could nestle in with you, sweet pup.
    Your photos are spectacular, and make me want to take a long drive down a winding country road.
    Bless you and yours this Thanksgiving. I'm glad to have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daisy - Bailey would love to snuggle, she's just the kindest, gentlest dog. So grateful she found us. You sound like me...I think there's nothing like a winding country road - my daughter and I call them adventure roads, often we just take an unknown road to see what we can discover! And thanks for the kind words...so glad to have found your blog as well.

      Delete
  5. I like Bailey's idea! Love your pics. Happy Thanksgiving. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Janice - we should all be hibernating! (at least in my opinion)

      Delete
  6. Your pictures are wonderful, Mary, and they really help me to see what late autumn looks like in your part of the world.
    Sending you and your family every blessing for Thanksgiving. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jules...I appreciate your good wishes and the inspiration you give me whenever I visit your blog. What a blessing to be able to see those lovely sites you share - and your adventures have encouraged me to do the same; thank you!

      Delete
  7. Love your post. It sounds like you have everything done and ready for the winter months ahead. Yes, Thanksgiving and Christmas should be savored and enjoyed! Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, no decorating here yet...it's on Monday's to-do list! You're absolutely right though...savor and enjoy; I'll remember that.

      Delete
  8. I know I'm late, but these are such lovely photos. I have not begun decorating for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melody, thanks so much for stopping by! Tomorrow I begin decorating, the weather is just now feeling a bit like winter...looking forward to visiting your blog and seeing how you decorate for Christmas in the UK!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10