Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Saturday, May 20

spring in the country

 

Spring cleaning here,

I'm sorry to say,

Was not in March,

And here it is May!

And April too fine

To sweep remote corners

And polish and shine.

But in this fair month,

I have motivation.

If I don't clean house now,

I'll miss summer vacation!

-Unknown


Shared with me by a friend, the above poem is spot on for my days right now!  Yes, I began early...sorted & organized, dusted & donated, but still, there's much to do. 




However; once the air becomes warmer and the sunlight dazzles as the days become longer, it's time to shift focus...weeding, pruning, trimming, mowing, and mulching fill the days. Animal sheds get cleaned, barns begin to be repaired, and paint is touched up. 

On rainy days, with a dustpan in hand and renewed determination, I'm back to the inside. This week, a wise friend reminded me that to every thing there is a season...we've decided that goes for spring cleaning, too.


                                        


So beyond my Domestic Goddess chores, as I like to call them, there's been excitement...my daughter graduated from university with her BS in Psychology, magna cum laude, so proud of her! It was a beautiful sunshiny day for graduation followed by a family dinner out to celebrate. A week earlier, my son came home for summer from his freshman year at college...as the designated comic relief here, it's good to have him back home - both celebrations made Mothers' Day a treat!

In my last post I said I'd let you know about a mini greenhouse that makes my heart happy...here's the story.

For years, and by years, I mean decades, I've had my eye on the lovely Little Cottage Company greenhouses. While a large one would be a dream, I was even enchanted by the mini one.  Go take a look...aren't they sweet? Then, click on the link to see the details...blink as you look over the prices, and then read the fine print to see that those prices are for KITS...UNPAINTED AND UNASSEMBLED. Yikes!

I kept looking online, searching for second-hand greenhouses that were for sale. Yes, I found them...again, for thousands of dollars. Resolved that yet again, this spring the mudroom would be filled with a few trays of seeds, because any more than a just few trays makes it impossible to get in and out of the mudroom. Sigh...

Then one evening while looking online again, I came across this for sale:



Wait, that looks like the Little Cottage Company mini one. 

Nah, it couldn't be...below is the "real" Little Cottage Company greenhouse...back & forth I bounced comparing photos.




It was the Little Cottage Company mini for sale...and because they'd had it for 20 years, it was being sold for a reasonable price. The family who owned it has decided to start a flower farm, and they need a much larger, commercial-size greenhouse. This one was only being used for storage.

Oh joy, rapture! Okay...a little over an hour away - I'm thinking this is doable. I let my family know this would be my birthday and Mothers' Day gift for the year!

The owners wouldn't deliver, but if I could rent a truck, they would help me load it. My daughter and I drove up to look it over, and struck a deal...yay! And you know what, as we chatted, they offered to deliver it that same day - it was perfect. They decided they could look at wholesale flower growers in the area, and when I compared the cost of renting a truck and the price of gas, the additional charge seemed fair.

So here she is after being dropped off - Azreal is giving her a quick inspection. 

I can't tell you how many oodles of flower seeds I was able to tuck inside, while too small for them, it is just right for me. 



This week, as we had freeze warnings and icy winds blowing from the North, I was so glad that everything growing inside stayed warm and safe. In another week or two, we'll be past our usual frost date, and it'll be time to do some planting. 




As for today, quilts & sheets are on the clothesline, and one of my very favorite things to do is watch them billow, then wait and listen to them snap smartly in the wind. While sweatshirt weather today, I know soon summer will creep up and land on us with a blast of heat and humidity.

Hmmm, I'd better get back to that to-do list!



14 comments:

  1. Oh My Stars! I love how things lined right up for you! The greenhouse is gorgeous and it is just what you wanted! What a great reminder that we can manifest what we want in this world. So happy for you!
    The shot of the quilt blowing in the wind is beautiful.
    Now excuse me, I'm going to manifest my new family farm...;0D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isn't it crazy? The KIT was over $3000 - good grief! You work on that new family farm...you've reminded me to keep working toward what I want!

      Delete
  2. Oh happy day! What a sweet little greenhouse! Mine get started in the dining room so I completely understand - someday. Beautiful post~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a thing wrong with the dining room, been there! Did I need it...no, but every spring I just think how much nicer it would be if I had a greenhouse.. Tiny but might! It's only about 6 feet long and 4 feet tall - and 3 feet wide, but it works for me - I just got lucky.

      Delete
  3. Congrats to your daughter. Kudos to you on the mini greenhouse. It was meant to be for you. Love the quilt hanging on the line too! Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww thanks Janice, I'll pass your congrats along. Time sure flies...

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the blog visit, and hello from Shropshire, where I am admiring that gorgeous little greenhouse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gretel and thanks for visiting across the miles! Oh, from photos I see of your part of the world, those beautiful old houses almost always have a greenhouse - full size, so envious. Looking forward to stopping back at your blog and catching up on older posts.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful greenhouse! Now THAT'S a story. Good for you. And a huge congrats to your daughter. What an amazing accomplishment! So happy for you that the kids are home. For the most part our spring has been very mild and I'm enjoying every single minute of it! 😁 Wishing you a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Staci, thanks - you know I'm a sappy mom when those kids are gone...so glad it's back to "normal." Yep, love that little greenhouse...I have an old hand me down greenhouse table that will NOT fit inside it (it's almost the same size, ha) but that's okay...I'm just glad I snagged it before someone else did. Enjoy the week... perfect for gardening!

      Delete
  6. OH wow! lucky you! Spring cleaning did not get done here so it will have to get done here and there. Your quilt is beautiful
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy - I can't imagine my dream greenhouses being nearly $20,000 - that's unbelievable, so I'm happy with my mini! I agree...here & there is the best we can do some days - I have to learn to be more flexible and less hard on myself. No one will suffer if a few cobwebs get missed!

      Delete
  7. What a cute little greenhouse (I am rather green myself - with envy!). I hope you get many years of pleasure out of it :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have looked at different greenhouses on the web and they are quite pricey. I have a greenhouse that my husband built for me from a kit and it has served well through the years. With the heat and hail in Texas.....there is no way we could risk a $20,000 structure.......or no way to afford that! Such a lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10