Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Monday, March 6

a catch up and the "real" me...

March...spring hasn't officially arrived, but somehow, I can tell it's coming - it's a wet, grassy smell that means the seasons are changing. Spots in the yard and fields are soggy, but still, the warming sun and brisk breezes are beginning to dry them out. I can hear cardinals and robins singing in the distance, I'm sure they're busily doing a little spring housekeeping and mending their nests. 




Fields and trees these early March days are filled with crows, but one day last week, my daughter and I were amazed to spot two Bald Eagles...honestly, what a thrill to see these majestic birds. One sitting high in a tree observing the world around him, while the other was in flight. 

However; not as thrilling was our close encounter with a large owl a couple of weeks earlier...we spotted him alongside the road as we drove by, when suddenly he took flight and flew right at us, just grazing the windshield. Either a Barred Owl or a Great Horned Owl with his tufts laid back, we can't be sure which, but what we are sure of, there's nothing quite like that experience to begin the day!

As promised, following Billie Jo's fun post over at her blog, I thought I'd share some odds & ends about me that you may find interesting...

Here goes!

I have a BA in Design, and my favorite job was being a Senior Cookbook Editor (the story is here) writing, brainstorming, layout, and yes, it included taste-testing recipes - yum! 

I am truly a homebody...taking an unknown adventure road or a day trip suits me fine, but I have no desire to "see the world."  Gladys Taber said it best: "I would be willing to go around the world, if I came back in time to light the candles and set the table for supper." 

I really enjoy gardening, both flowers and veggies. And, if you stopped by while I was gardening, you just might find me outside dancing or singing...good thing the neighbors aren't very close!

Autumn, for me, is perfect...there just seems to be a wisdom to it.

I'm smitten with my 1963 vintage camper named Maizy!

I love traditions...pumpkin carving, decorating the Christmas tree, and coloring Easter eggs

I cry easily...as you know if you've been reading about recent high school graduations; those emotions are at the surface.

I like very simple things...county fairs, a big field on the 4th of July with a picnic basket, curling up to re-read a book, family movie marathons, small towns, twinkling fireflies, barn sales, porch swings, and picket fences. 




Favorite music? give me the 1940's, I'll choose Glenn Miller any day!
Favorite color? Blue
Favorite food? spicy anything
Least Favorite food? rosemary anything

Growing up, I was convinced being a vet in the Yorkshire Dales was the calling for me. I've read and re-read the James Herriot books so many times I've lost count. However; the realities that high school chemistry and physics were not my strong areas meant it was time to shift focus.

I love old things...houses, barns, furniture, quilts, old-fashioned values, and simple ways. 

A wrap up? wife, mom, goat wrangler, chicken whisperer, farmers' market baker, renovating an 1864 farmhouse...I live in an apron. Welcome to my world!







20 comments:

  1. Yay for the Simple Life and living in an Apron! It is a wonderful lifestyle, and reading your blog feeds the soul for many of us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww that's so sweet to say Margaret, thank you. I'm so glad to have discovered your blog - definitely far away, but happy to be able to keep in touch this way. I learn so much - and whenever I watch The Brookenwood Mysteries (an addiction) I wonder if it's nearby! Mary

      Delete
  2. We sound very much alike. I too have no desire to travel anymore. Dorothy had it right.
    Growing up, I was often teased for crying so easily, now I understand that it means I am strong enough to embrace and express my emotions.
    We have recently discovered the PBS series "All Creatures Great and Small" and absolutely adore it! I will have to go back and read all of the books.
    I hope you enjoy the awakening that spring brings. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right about Dorothy...there is; No Place Like Home. You're also right about crying...while I don't get teased, I do sense the "oh, so emotional" attitude.. Your line of thinking is spot on, I'll remember it...thanks, Mary

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful post. We have so many things in common, as you already know. Being a Senior Cookbook Editor must have been so interesting! That's funny about the rosemary - we are a no rosemary and no leek household. ๐Ÿ˜ I love the Gladys Taber saying. It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great knowing that we enjoy many of the same things...I appreciate your blog and learning from what you do. Oddly enough, those old-fashioned/homesteading interests are so hard to find around here, even in a rural area. I'm thinking I need a time travel machine...send me back to the simple days!

      Delete
  4. I love this post. I can relate to so many things you wrote, especially wearing an apron everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Judy...I have too many aprons (hee, hee). Maybe I'll do a post on those - it's fun to wear them. I remember MaryJane Butters saying the apron was her version of the power suit...perfect!

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed reading more about you. I too am a real homebody if I could be. How scary to have an owl come at you. Seeing the bald eagles is an amazing sight. With no ice that stayed in the river this year, we did not see any this year. I so look forward to seeing them. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janice, one homebody to another...yay! It sounds like you see Eagles often, it was so amazing and such a surprise.. Now I'm keeping binoculars in the car and looking hard for them. Hope you're keeping warm up there! Mary

      Delete
  6. Hello! I so enjoyed this, my friend! Thank you for sharing! I am also a proud homebody! I do not like weeks when I have things on the calendar that require me to leave my cozy home! And do you know, I am petrified of owls!!! I just get creeped out even looking at them! I can only imagine how scary that was for you! Your paragraph on liking very simple things? Yes to every single one. So happy to know that somewhere out there, another wife and mother is loving her vocation as much as I am! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Billie Jo - I'm so, so glad to know you feel the same...it seems incredibly hard to find anyone around me that does, that's why I'm so grateful to have a blog "family" that shares my feelings. Oh yes, how many times did I hear: "are you EVER" going back to work? What DO you DO all day?" that could be a post in the future! Sending good wishes your way...always glad to catch up with you, Mary

      Delete
  7. I do wished you lived next door. You could eat your spicy food at the picnic and I could sip my rosemary and lemon tea.
    I love that you saw the lovely bird and the owls and eagles are imposing.
    We are planning our first long car trip I can feel the anxiety rising in me of sleeping in foreign places for a couple of nights before we reach our destination.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy, that is the nicest thing to say...thank you. The picnic sounds ideal! I do love lemons...lemon loaf is a favorite along with lemon muffins. I haven't traveled very far lately, but I agree...for me, it makes me anxious. I'm happy to pull back into the driveway and be home. Looking forward to hearing about your road trip...but, are you snowed in right now?! Send some my way please...Mary

      Delete
  8. I relate to so much of what you've stated, except for 1 thing ~ what!? You don't like rosemary? I'm not sure I speak that language ๐Ÿ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - I can't help it, I just feel like I'm eating an evergreen tree! How do you feel about sauerkraut? I love that, but most people (my family included) don't! Enjoy the weekend, Mary

      Delete
  9. We share many of the same "favorites."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to meet to many blogging friends who share some of the same goals and favorites...I appreciate you letting me know!

      Delete
  10. A great post! Goat wrangling while wearing an apron sounds fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - must look "cute" (which translates to keeping the dust/dirt/mud etc. off clothes/face/hands) when wrangling goats! Truly, goat wrangling (specifically hoof trimming) is a sport best left to the professionals - my skills do not get the job done!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10