Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Monday, January 30

winter...the time for home

 


January seems to have flown by, and I feel like each day's weather brought something new. One day would be cold with chilly winds & rain, then the next morning we'd wake up to pretty spirals of falling snow that called to mind lace curtains dancing in the breeze. We've had gray mornings with snow piled up against the house & barns, and then afternoons with bright sunshine & blue skies. This week, they say we'll have single digit temperatures at night...there's nothing we can do but prepare; it is January after all. And that's okay with me, I think there's a certain warmth that comes to an old house in wintertime...candlelight paired with firelight always seems to me a cozy sight.

Like so many of you, January's found me keeping busy with "Winter Cleaning" as I've heard it called. No time for Spring Cleaning's traditional dust bunny chasing here...Spring is all about being outside. And so being the list-maker that I am, I've whipped up a lengthy To-Do...a room-by-room deep cleaning, sorting, organizing, and donating list. Off to the recycler went Tupperware lids with no bottoms and bottoms with no lids (does this only happen to me?) while magazines,  books, DVD's, and CD's we no longer enjoy have been passed along to a wonderful Friends of the Library shop our local library operates. We're lucky to have an environmental center that recycles worn tennis/athletic shoes, and I'm thinking about having a spring vintage-themed sale to pass on old glassware that seems to be taking over shelves and spilling out of boxes. Why not let someone else enjoy it and add to their collection? Oh I still have oodles to do, but it feels good to get a jump on some things. 




I love the rest that winter brings...time to plot & plan, scheme & dream. Time to put my feet up and settle in with a favorite book or good movie by 7 o'clock, and not feel guilty - because before I know it, outside work will call until nearly dark each day. And that's as it should be. Now we can do things that get put on the back-burner in warmer weather. Mother Nature needs time to rest, as do we. Winter isn't a season to get through...it has a beauty all its own. And for that, I am truly grateful.


Enjoy every day friends...





"Winter is the time for comfort,
for good food and warmth, 
for the touch of a friendly hand
and for a talk beside the fire:
it is the time for home."

-Edith Sitwell


15 comments:

  1. I give my old magazines to my mom and she gives them to an adult home in the town she lives. Candlelight, Christmas lights and warm fires to brighten up my nights. Comfort food too!!! Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janice, that's a great way to pass-along magazines, I'm sure they're enjoyed. Oh yes...we're thinking alike - love all those things, too! Hope you're staying warm in that state up north! (you know I'm teasing!) Mary

      Delete
  2. Hooray for the lists AND the winter cleaning! I completely agree with everything you said. Oh, how I adore the coziness of winter. I've been baking bread and making comfort foods and desserts to savor. Hoping your cottage foods business is doing well. Wishing you a wonderful week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staci, yep, lists paired with a calendar. I just have to do it that way to keep on top of things! I love knowing I'm not alone...lists, baking, sweet treats...we're all kindred spirits. Will post on the cottage foods soon...taking the plunge in March. (advice always welcome!)

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful perspective on winter you have. Enjoying the restoring side as well as making the most of extra cleaning time. And I loved your description of the snow being like lace curtains :)
    Mxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww thanks Margaret...I tried to capture the snow in a video or photo to share, but they just didn't do it justice. Oh so pretty and soooo quiet. Cleaning here is a must, how do these things pile up and get out of hand? I really could use more hours in the day!

      Delete
  4. I have been doing the same thing weeding out a bit. I agree it is a time to tuck in relax before all the spring jobs start.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy, I love that all of us are thinking alike...sorting out the "stuff" but also, taking time to restore ourselves before warm weather. That's so important and I think most of us don't do it enough. Hope you're settling in right now, feet up!

      Delete
  5. Hello, my friend! What a wonderful post you shared today! I love your thoughts and words about winter. I agree with you and am inspired by you to continue living each season as it comes. These are indeed the days to plan and be cozy. Spring and all her glory and work will be here soon enough! I always enjoy my cozy visits with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Billie Jo, I see it in your posts...trying so hard to keep enjoying the season we are in, not looking ahead to "what's next". You inspire me to stop, breathe, and take a moment to unwind. Those dust bunnies can wait until tomorrow - how's that song go? "This is life, don't miss it." Enjoy your week!

      Delete
  6. Hi! Thanks for your comment on my blog today! I just love your post on January and winter in general. I don't really mind the cold and snow but I could stand a bit more sun like we had today! I even did a bit of wood splitting to keep the wood stove humming during these cold days! Have a good week and I'll be back to enjoy more of your posts. I mean, we are almost neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...when the sun is shining, even with all the snow, it just makes me feel better. And wood splitting, that's hard work! But it's comforting isn't it? To have that wood pile...Mother Nature can bring whatever weather she wants and we'll be ready!

      Delete
  7. Well said! Winter brings its own unique magic, doesn't it? Lists keep me focused and it feels so good to cross those things off. Downsizing a bit at a time keeps it manageable. Enjoy your productive days and cozy nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daisy...so glad to her you say that, yes, it is magical and so pretty. And you're just like me...I need those lists to keep on track. And if I didn't get it all done (I admit, like today!) well, tomorrow I'll try to catch up.We can't be too hard on ourselves...we'll just keep moving forward!.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10