Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Wednesday, August 24

move-in day & to-do lists...

I would be truly ungrateful if I didn't thank those who left comments filled with kind words of understanding and encouragement as I prepared for the countdown to college move-in day.
Truly, friends from across the miles, you lifted my heart!




The countdown week was busy...we shopped, crossed items off his to-do list and escaped on family day-trips. I cooked his favorite foods, baked sweet treats, washed oodles of laundry, dusted off suitcases, and triple-checked lists. He squeezed in visits with friends who are also leaving for college, to enjoy a movie or milkshake together.

Before we knew it, it was Saturday (the last day for move in because he said it would give us extra time to say goodbye - sniff, sniff.) That afternoon we took just one more look over what had been packed and then we loaded the car. 

After navigating our way around campus we found his dorm room, unpacked his belongings, made his bed (top bunk, yikes, 6'3" squeezed in for sure!) and then we took him out to dinner. However; it wasn't long before it was time to drop him back at the dorms and for us to go home. We took pictures, hugged, told him for the hundredth time to be safe, to eat, and to let us know if he needed anything. We hugged again, then hugged just one more time, before saying goodbye.  

Now I know this is the way it's supposed to be...a changing of seasons, a time for chasing dreams, for finding out about himself, learning, and growing. However, it doesn't make it any easier. Yes, as it is for everyone, there have been ups and downs, but there's something wonderful about immersing oneself in the upbringing of children and having a sweet life built around them. 

    

















And so now I've made a long keep-busy list...26 things are listed on it to be precise! Yes, things that need doing anyway, but they'll keep me distracted. Calls to be made, garden to harvest, deep cleaning to do, planning for winter...

Again, thank you for your sweet comments and expressions of empathy...they mean more than you can know.







"There are two times when parenting is the most difficult.
When the baby first arrives at home,
and when the adult first leaves home. "

-Jennifer Quinn

11 comments:

  1. Thinking of you, Mary. Take your time to adjust to this new season in your life. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it was heart wrenching, but you got through it! I hope you take some comfort in knowing that you've prepared him to make good decisions. No doubt he has so many great memories of growing up.

    I think the to-do list is a great idea! Wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing all the best for college bound! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jules - thanks for thinking of me; yes, taking my time...right now keeping busy. I suppose it's good that there always seems to be something to do!

    Daisy G - oh yes, the tears! Someone said, don't let him see you cry, but you know that just was too hard. There were definitely eyes welling up. And you're so kind - I DO hope he has good memories and I I also hope I've done what I should. Daily prayers are a must!

    Janice - I appreciate your good wishes! It's so hard after a routine of so many years - I am NOT one who likes change!

    Hugs to all, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, What a beautiful post. I feel your heart right through your words. I agree with all your thoughts and cannot believe how quickly those precious years flew by. Hugs from a mommy who knows the feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Billie Jo, thank you so much...yes, the time flies so quickly, I just can't believe it. I appreciate you understanding how hard it is...a mom nearby told me, "You've done your job." "It's time to let them go." Oh my...no empathy.

    I have a feeling if you lived close by, we'd be chatting each week solving the world problems! Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your list, is a lovely and wise idea.

    All _will_ be well.

    Have a cry or sniffle, if you need to. No one says big changes, have to be faced with iron will and all that jazzzzz... -hugs-

    But you will ease into this new phase of life. You will. You _both_ will.

    Many, many gentle hugs,
    From an 85 year old Nana
    AKA *Wisdom of the Ages*
    -gigggggggles-
    πŸ’› 😊 πŸ’› 😊 πŸ’› 😊 πŸ’›

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post was such a joy to read and those pictures! Such a sweet son to care about having extra time to spend with you. The to-do list is such a fabulous idea. Hugs to you as you transition to this new season of life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beside a Babbling Brook, I LOVE your "wisdom of the ages"! You're so right, no iron will here - and plenty of tears. Thank you for sharing you kind words, very wise indeed.

    Staci - Thanks for the hugs across the miles, I'm working on my list and trying to keep this all in perspective. Oh, I hate change!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post. It is such a different house when a young one leaves the nest and flies away. Such a lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eggs in my Pocket - you are so right, it is different - so quiet. It makes me think back to when my Mother in Law would always say, as we were getting ready to leave her house and go home, "When can you come back? Now I understand...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10