Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Friday, December 10

'tis the season...

 It seems that each passing day raises our anticipation and joy in planning for Christmas...secret surprises, a visit to the tree farm, and a kitchen filled with the aroma of spicy gingersnap cookies. 

Mae, our 1950 oven (why yes, every vintage oven does needs a name!) has been going the extra mile...two ovens, two broilers, 4 burners, and room for a griddle (which I need to find) she warms the kitchen with her magical self. I often think of the past 71 Christmases she's seen...truly, the heart of our kitchen. 

I know your days are filled with busyness...the exciting kind! December is a month filled with cooking, tree-trimming, and singing. Enjoy every minute...the glow of the fire, the twinkling tree, the sound of church bells, the gathering of snowbirds.

Some snapshots of our December, from the old farmhouse...


our tree waiting for decorations

a yellow-ware bowl filled with old-fashioned potpourri

the Hoosier cupboard greets us as we come home

a tree in the window for passersby and woodland creatures

one of my favorite Santas

more of the jolly men on the mantel

such pretty pink clouds (no filter, I promise!)

an old wagon by the lamp post

a special Christmas cactus given to me
by a dear friend when my son was born.
Every year it blooms near his birthday...and while
they usually bloom for only 1-2 weeks, 
last year, it bloomed for 5 months..
.

inspiration...a  handmade sign in a local shop






5 comments:

  1. Enjoying every minute indeed. I've made a conscious effort at doing exactly that. Especially since we are in a retail business it can go by in a blink.

    I am in absolute awe that your Christmas cactus bloomed for 5 months. That's incredible!

    Such beautiful photos (pink clouds! yellow ware!) and post. Wishing you a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delight to see your Christmas decor. Love those Santa's too! My mom has a Christmas cactus that blooms at Easter. We joke about it all o f the time. Pretty sky too! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Staci - Glad to hear you're having a good holiday...you'll need lots of R&R afterward! And yes, the Christmas cactus...it must have known we needed a boost during this pandemic. One summer I put it outside, like my neighbor does, never again...I almost lost it. Babied it back and now it's safe inside. The countdown is on...wishing you joy for the holidays!

    Janice - thanks for stopping, I know your shop must be bustling! An Easter Cactus...I love it! Enjoying all your lovely prim decorations...getting such inspiration from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary, your house looks very festive with all of your decorations. Did you make your own potpourri?

    I love your Christmas cactus. Mine has never flowered at Christmas, I suppose because we are now in summer here, but it has flowered 3 times this year!

    Only one week to go until Christmas, have a wonderful time! Hugs, Rose x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rose, thanks so much for your kind words...I keep things simple. As much as I love looking at sparkly lights, I just can't put them up here. Maybe a house built in 1864 is just telling me, "no flash or bling, please!" Making the potpourri is so simple, just cupfuls of whatever was on hand...tiny pinecones, fruit slices dried in the dehydrator, cinnamon sticks broken into small pieces, and rosehips I found in the woods. A little orange essential oil and it's all done. Wow, three blooms in one year is amazing...another Christmas cactus that knows we just need a little boost to our spirits. Time is flying...still need to bake cookies and wrap surprises! You have a great week as well, Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10