Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Thursday, April 29

thoughts on the weather, and more about the month of April...

Under the April sky we've heard the call of the mockingbirds during the day, and the "yip" of coyotes at night. On days the weather was fine, flowerbeds were weeded, the vegetable garden tilled, and the chicken coop cleaned top-to-bottom (happy hens, indeed!)  Many, many tree limbs have been split and stacked for firewood (the result of a late winter wind storm), and we've started our warm-weather ritual of: mow, trim, repeat. I've decided my perfect temperature is 65 degrees...cool enough that outdoor chores can be done comfortably, but warm enough to chase off the chill.

But all too soon the lovely promise of spring...







was met with a trick by Mother Nature...4 inches of snow!







For 3 nights in a row I used every spare blanket and sheet I could find to try and protect the tender perennials. Somehow, they seem to be doing just fine. And too tall to try and cover, only time will tell if the fruit trees and their tender blossoms will bring fruit this summer. 



However; even with the cold and snow, April has given us many glorious backdrops...




and we know that neither snow, nor showers can dampen our love of a quiet life and the simple pleasure of springtime in the country.

April, sweet April...


(for Janice: who shared her wonderful crock collection here, this is the crock pattern I mentioned...any thoughts on the name? It's hard to see, but there are 9 of those little lines on the right.)




3 comments:

  1. Such beautiful photos! Wasn't that late snow something else? I certainly hope your fruit trees are ok. Happy to hear you were able to save everything else. We are enjoying watching all of the various wild birds build their nests all over our property. I can't wait for hatching time. It's so much fun to watch the littles grow.

    We've begun our spring chores as well including the coop clean-out. The girls are so funny once we're done as they run around scratching at all of the new shavings.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a beautiful blue slip crock, but I do not know the maker. Often makers of these early crocks were artists who just wanted to create something that was never created before. There are many blue slip crocks like this and I even own a few. I so love the early gray blue slip crocks. I do know these were made in the East and the glaze would be added after the blue paint. You do have a wonderful early one. We had snow last week too. I usually keep my leaves on my perennials until Memorial Day because April ad early May can be quite finicky around here. In fact we have a frost warning tonight. Thanks again for sharing your wonderful crock with us!!! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Staci - Yes it's amazing...the perennials seem to be thriving now, in spite of the snow! My goal was to keep the ferns safe that belonged to my mother-in-law...so far, they look good. Another week of spring chores here as well...I need to wrap up, because this time of year, nothing gets done inside!

    Janice - thanks so much for taking a look at my crock. The design may be nothing more than the artist's whim...when I look at it, it always reminds me of a mouse because I see a long tail!I appreciate you sharing your collection...would love to see your shop someday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10