Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Friday, October 16

campers, campers, everywhere!

 

As you probably know, I LOVE our little 1963 Yellowstone camper named Maizy...the story of how she came to be ours is here We laugh every time we read her owners manual that says she
"will sleep 4-8 comfortably."

13 feet long, 6'6" wide and about 6'3" tall...and that's without the cab-over!


courtesy of: Tin Can Tourists



Really...4-8 comfortably? Even 4-6 is a a bit of a stretch (okay, more than a bit)

I'm just saying, in my mind, she's a 2-person camper. Maybe if there were littles to tuck in one of the beds or the crow's nest, but honestly, nope...she's a 2-person gal. We did squeeze my daughter in the crow's nest for one sleepover and my 6'3" son on the larger back bed and it was, um, well, cozy might be the best word.


Maizy

So anyway, as I've been out & about, I've noticed lots of fun vintage campers, and I thought you might like to see them. Clever, classic, retro designs that make me smile..


I passed this shiny little Airstream today...



and saw this vintage lady peeking out of a barn...



a little Casita looks ready for a road trip...

 


while this camper was doing double-duty as a traveling food "truck" at a
favorite farm show.



Lastly, we spied this on the way to school one day..oh-so tiny, but look, it has
an airconditioner!




While reading a blog by MaryJane's Farmgirl Blogger Nicole...aka the Suburban Farm Girl, she wrote a great post about vintage radios (click here to read) and she inspired me. 

She shows snapshots of tabletop vintage radios that no longer work, and how she "hides" a smart speaker behind it...the look of vintage charm that "works"; how clever!

When we bought Maizy, she came with lots of goodies, one was a turquoise Zenith tabletop radio...the fun, colorful plastic version. A little sleuthing and I found out it's a 1961 Art Deco Tabletop Tube Radio. Because it didn't pick up anything more that just static, it has been stored away.

But after reading Nicole's post, I pulled out the radio, dusted it off, and tucked our tiny bluetooth speaker behind it. Soon I was on Pandora searching for the top hits from 1963...


and like magic, it's as if the radio was playing...as Nicole says, instant charm and atmosphere!  



There will only be a short time to enjoy Maizy...soon enough she'll be covered and safely tucked away for winter. In the meantime, she's just perfect for quiet, mother-daughter time.

My mother-in-law always said, these will be the best days of your life.

She was right...





4 comments:

  1. We live near a state park and I love driving by seeing the vintage campers. They are so sweet! Great idea for vintage radios too. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janice, they are cute, I love seeing what people have done to dress theirs up. Enjoy your weekend and thanks for visiting! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maizy is adorable and I LOVE looking at the different campers too. What a great idea with the vintage radio - people are so clever!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Staci, thanks so much...Maizy is fun. I saw an other old camper in a parking lot yesterday, and her license tag read, "I am Greta" ... made me smile!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10