Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Tuesday, July 2

liquid gold ~ no, no, no...not the furniture polish!



 nature's sweetener...

liquid gold...

the Greeks even called it the nectar of the gods...

Whatever you like to call it, we now have some of our very own...

HONEY, that is!


A trip to the hive (all suited-up of course), and the help of a good neighbor, found us with frames of capped honey ready to be extracted!  Yay!  After our recent swarm, we just weren't quite sure what we'd find on our next hive inspection.

But before we knew it, our handy-dandy honey extractor was whirling around spinning out glorious honey...


When all the frames had been extracted, we opened the gate and watched the honey pour into the sieve, which would filter and catch any wax.


After all the honey was in the pail, we tightened the lid and let it sit for two days to allow the bubbles to rise to the top.
 
And here's a sampling of what we now have in Mason jars just waiting...



to be drizzled over buttery biscuits and thick slices of warm homemade bread. 

It's been an interesting year filled with beekeeping lessons and new experiences, but one taste of this, and it's all worth it!



(Thanks, girls...)  
 
 
 
 

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Ginny...now I'll have to find lots of new recipes that call for honey!

      Delete
  2. I love your photography. It's just so simple yet vividly crisp and lovely. Our family just got bees and I hope they survive the winter so we can try our hand at honey harvesting next summer. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel for the kind words and for stopping by. I've been talking with your dad about bees lately...it'll be an exciting adventure for your family!

      Delete
  3. Congrats Mary!! Isn't it wonderful...and I am pretty sure that honey made by your own bees is much sweeter than anyone else's!

    I love those tall thin jars, I've never seen any like that this side of the border.

    Enjoy!

    ~Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw shucks, Andrea. I wouldn't say it's sweeter (hee, hee...well, not out loud anyway!) And the jars are a brand-new size...they're 24-oz. and made by Ball. I thought they'd be just right for lots of things we can, and they're freezer-safe, too. Keep looking...they may be just a bit slower to arrive up north.

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, that is awesome!!! Like you said, I'm sure all that hassle made it worth it especially pouring that sweet nectar in your own jars. How glorious! =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, don't tell anyone, but they're really pretty low maintenance! No stings so far, and with a helpful neighbor & mentor, then family taking turns at extracting honey, it's not been too much to handle. The bees are visiting our flowers, veggies & fruit trees all the time, so it's a pretty fair trade for what I do!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous honey! I hope that we have a harvest this year too. My fingers are crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's been such a treat to enjoy OUR honey. Makes me think maybe, just maybe, I'll add another hive! Wishing you good luck with yours as well...we'll keep reading to see what you harvest. -Mary

      Delete
  6. It's been an interesting year filled with beekeeping lessons and new experiences, but one taste of this, and it's all worth it! Demir Leather

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree! I have three hives now...that's just enough for us and some to sell/share. I always tell people it's not a hard job, but a hot one in the summertime. And so much to learn...and some things are just instinct. Right now it's getting chilly here, so I'll take the feeders off, put on some fondant for winter feeding, and wrap the hives in bubblewrap (being sure to leave an entrance/exit for them). Keep me posted on how your hives area doing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10