Welcome to an 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Thursday, September 17, 2026

this, that, and the other thing!


Morning,




Noon,



And night.



A quick hello and catch-up on what’s been happening here in the Midwest. 



Peppers are ready for jam! This one is called Armageddon - described as fruity, citrusy, floral, and with “extreme throat burning spice!” Wow that will be some amazing pepper jam!


Sadly, one of my favorite shops is closing. Filled with wonderful furniture and inspiration, I loved wandering through to get new ideas, and 
the nicest gal was always there to chat with. 



There’s nothing like pulling up to the door and seeing a sign that says they’re permanently closed and that there will be an auction in early spring or summer. Yikes, it was past that! But there was a number to contact someone and I could make an appointment to see what was left. Luckily, for me, they haven’t even had the auction yet, but much of the beautiful furniture was already gone. 



Except this… I have had my eye on this blue cupboard for years. But, I didn’t really want to spend the money, and I felt like the blue needed to be toned down a bit, but every time I was there, I’d be drawn to it. 


It has the look of a really old cupboard - I’m no antique expert; however, the back just felt authentic. 




It has three shelves inside, all with the same unfinished wood - I just have a feeling someone added the blue paint recently. (Janice, you’re the antique expert!) 

Anyway, she told me she was surprised it was still there and then offered me 75% off. Wow, it was coming home with me! It’s tucked in a room now, waiting for the day I put it in my kitchen. Here’s the plan – rip out all of the old dated/ugly kitchen cupboards and go with an unfitted kitchen. Just some standalone cupboards like this, my Hoosier, and my pie safe. Fingers crossed! 

There’s still the auction to look forward to, and while I have my eye on that cupboard with the basket on top, it is way out of my price range and I really don’t even have room for it. (I can’t recall who the designer is, evidently she’s famous for making new furniture look antique.) but at an auction, anything is possible - I’ll keep you posted! 

Well friends, that’s it from my corner of the world. I hope you’re well and enjoying this transition into gorgeous fall.

Here’s a little something I think might make you smile. I caught a glimpse of the mail carrier making his rounds in town the other day. Made me laugh! We all agreed he looks like the man with the yellow hat from Curious George!!




Courtesy of Google

12 comments:

  1. Blogger is finally working for me. Oooh I so loved both thosed cupboard.s The blue to me in your pics looks like someone painted it blue over another color. But the back is definitely n old piece. You can also tell by the nails. If they look old or not. Or older flat head screws too. You sure did score on getting it. Cannot wait to see how you decorate it. We just visited an antique store the other day and that owner was worried about making rent now with his primitives. He told us it is so hard trying to find them now, that they have to make the prices high just to survive. Hope he makes it, but I agree. We dont see the prims here like we use to anymore either. Folks are hoarding them now. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input Janice. I see two nails that stand out.one looks square and the other one looks almost like an oval with flat ends-hmmm. I’ll post a picture and maybe we can pin down an approximate date. I hate it that we don’t see old cupboards like we used to- And I’ll be honest, I hate it that I find them newly painted - I wouldn’t much rather have found this in its original stain. I do think I’ll take a light hand with some stain or tinted wax to knock down that denim blue color a bit. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Your new cupboard!!! It's gorgeous! And at an amazing discount, as well.
    I can't wait to see it in your kitchen. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Jules! I’m hoping to tear out my yucky kitchen next year!

      Delete
  3. That blue cabinet is wonderful. Oh, if only it could speak...
    Your scenic photos are always majestic.
    Yes, we are anticipating cooler temperatures this week, which also means that mosquitos should be on their way out. Two things to celebrate. Oh, how I love fall!
    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn’t agree more, Daisy, my absolute favorite time of year! We’ve had so much rain that the mosquitoes are still in abundance along with humidity, but I can see the changes!

      Delete
  4. Aha! There you are! The disappearing of the reading list really made me sad as I missed so much. Also sad about the shop closing. The same has been happening here with primitive shops and has been for some time. We only had one or two somewhat locally but in other parts of the state there were some well-known and hugely popular stores/shops that have closed. Great score, though, on that blue cupboard. Not that you asked my opinion but, yes, exactly what Janice said. That paint is not old...but the cupboard looks beautifully old. Good luck at the auction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think something is happening with blogger-maybe I need an update that I haven’t noticed?? And I welcome your opinions anytime! I thought it looked old as well, I wish it hadn’t been painted-now painted 100 years ago is another thing! I can’t remember if I posted about a beautiful canning cupboard I was lucky to get for a song. The seller was making some repairs to it, and I had her put some old hinges on it that I had, but she insisted on painting it black and I couldn’t talk her out of it. It’s still very nice, but it’s just missing that feeling of character and history.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful and heartwarming photos. ๐Ÿ’• Thank you for sharing. ❤️ Warm greetings from a retired lady living in Montreal, Canada ❤️ ๐Ÿ˜Š ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Linda for your kind words. I think Montreal must be so pretty...I've been to Toronto ages ago...so long ago we didn't need a passport then! :)

      Delete
  6. hahaha, yes, I was looking for his monkey curious George! Too bad about such a nice shop closing but hooray for you to get the pretty cupboard! Enjoy these autumn days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m sure the mailman was doing it to have fun – I wonder if he knows how many people he made smile that day?!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10