Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Sunday, August 12

smitten with bees...



After one month, our bees are buzzing away happily in their new home, and our family is excited at the idea of having our own honey.

One of the most important lessons I've learned is that keeping the smoker going is a must...and that can be quite a challenge!

Now, maybe everyone knew this little secret but me, but just in case you haven't heard, adding wood pellets (the kind used in heating stoves) will keep the smoker going long enough for you to complete your hive inspection with no worries.

Here's what I did...I added crumpled newspaper, about the size of a tennis ball, to the bottom of the smoker and topped it with kindling. Then I lit the paper and waited for the kindling to begin to crackle. Once that happened, I added a couple of handfuls of wood pellets. What I got was a cool smoke that burned for nearly two hours!

And so, with all the excitement of beekeeping, and even more to learn, who can resist linking up to a bee party? Join me, and meet some fascinating beekeepers here, at...



3 comments:

  1. Bees scare me a little,lol. What can I say folks! Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's certainly understandable...they worry lots of people. But truly, I've found that if I follow their "rules" they're just as calm as can be. I don't visit the hive on rainy days or days when thunderstorms are brewing. I don't visit too early or too late. So far, working gently & smoothly, then getting in & out of the hive as quickly as I can has kept me sting-free. And well, the honey, it's heavenly!

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear you're enjoying your new adventures in beekeeping. Although...I knew you would! : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10