Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Monday, November 28

creamy mushroom soup...

I love mushrooms...on pizza, stuffed, and especially the morels to be found each spring. Those we batter-dip and fry...not exactly calorie-free, but a delicious, once-a-year treat I remember from my childhood.

And so with today's rain and chilly wind, I felt some homemade soup should be on the menu. Sometimes I just want something a bit different from our usual chili or vegetable soup, so I began looking through my old cookbooks. Soon I came across a recipe I hadn't made in years...I did a little recipe tweaking, put on my apron, in no time I was whipping up a pot of creamy soup.

(oh, by the way; mushrooms do not photograph well...at least for me!)


























Creamy Mushroom Soup

1 c. butter
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 qt. chicken broth
16-oz. pkg. sliced mushrooms
1 qt. half & half
1 t. salt
1/4 t. white pepper

Melt butter in a stock pot over medium heat; add flour. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, add mushrooms, half & half, salt and pepper. Cook on low, but do not boil, until mushrooms are heated through. Makes 8 servings.


And yes, there's veggie soup simmering away on the stove as well...not everyone loves mushrooms like I do!

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10