Welcome to our 1864 farmhouse…life is good!


Friday, May 27

rambling thoughts...

The weather here, like in many parts of the Midwest, has been very unpredictable. Some days are warm with a gentle breeze, making them perfect for gardening, taking a walk, or pushing kids in tire swings. Other days the weather radio warns us of tornado watches or severe thunderstorms.

Yesterday was a crazy mix of both...puffy clouds and bright blue skies gave way to black clouds and pouring rain. I was outside gardening and hanging quilts on the clothesline when
Mother Nature changed her mind. She sent me quickly inside as darkening skies, thunder, and lightning approached.
However; by late afternoon, the storms had blown past leaving a fresh, clean feeling in the air along with a beautiful rainbow arching over the barns.

With the bad weather past, it was the perfect time to let the girls out of their coop to inspect their run. They were tentative at first, slowing inching their way down into a new world.  By day's end, four of the six had ventured out leaving the remaining two peeking through the doorway








Ahhh, they make me smile! We'll be going through our day,
all of us in different directions...kids playing, me gardening,
my husband mowing, when all of a sudden someone will shout, "Chicken Check!" That means a run to the coop to make sure all is well, but mostly just to visit and hear their happy chatter.

The kids race out after school to visit them, and there's talk of pitching a tent by the coop for summer. I'm okay with that...they're only young once (the kids and the chickens!)

Am I the only one smitten with chickens? Nah...
My friend Grace-Marie brought her chicks home Tuesday,
and you know, she's just as smitten as I am. We love to chat
about how "the girls" are and share what's new in her latest chicken magazine.

I must admit; however, that I often find myself thinking back to the classic movie, The Music Man. Come on...
do you know the song?

Pick a little, talk a little, pick a little, talk a little,
Cheep cheep cheep, talk a lot, pick a little more
Cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep
Pick a little, talk a little, cheep!

That's what I love about the simple pleasures...no electronic gadget can even compare. Talk of a tent has me planning a summer of unplugged play...getting outside, making, creating, going on adventures. Summer's almost here, and I want it to be full of laughter, fun, and memories.

Sadie Delany was right...
"Life is short, and it's up to you to make it sweet."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!

 
01 09 10